Chapter 1

3 years later...

Eli was running and not for the right reasons. She was supposed to be at home- watching the new episode of Gilmore Girls. Instead, she had let Stiles convince her that it was a good idea to look for a half of a dead body; not even a full one.

She convinced herself it was to protect them and in some ways it was, but it's been a while since she'd been on a hunt. Maize might be a tracker, but she mostly looks for humans, and humans are easy to find.

Scott tagged along and it irritated Eli because she now had to look after another person, but she let it be. She was happy it was just the three of them. They had been walking in the woods and Stiles had been talking the entire time. That was until they heard the voice of the Sheriff- Stiles' father.

Unfortunately, the Sheriff had caught Stiles, but the former lied about his friend's whereabouts. No, Scott and Eli were not getting a good night's rest; they were doing the exact opposite. They were wide awake, hiding behind a tree, trying not to get caught and sent home while awaiting their punishment by their respective parental figures.

Once the Sheriff took Stiles away; both her and Scott went walking in the opposite direction. They both mutually decided this would be the end of their night and they should try to find their way back home. When they were walking along the path they came, Scott dropped his inhaler. When he went to pick it up, he saw the outline of a body. He turned his flashlight on and he saw that it was indeed the other half of the body. Scott screamed and began to run away.

Eliana ran after him until he felt they were both a good enough distance. She huffed out in exasperation, "What happened?"

He tried to explain in between breaths, "Body- girl- dead body."

"You found the other half," She says and Scott nods his head in confirmation. She slides her hand up and down his back in efforts to soothe him, and even out his breaths. When he was no longer gasping for air and his breathing became steady, they began to walk again. Eli thought they were safe until she heard rushing footsteps. Scott was oblivious to the sound with his human ears and was equally confused when his friend tackled him to the ground.

"What the hell?" Scott looked at her as if she was crazy, but then he started blushing. They might have been friends since diapers, but she was still a girl- a girl who was straddling him.

"Shh!" She shushed him and the next thing they know, a cluster of deers came running their way, but since Eli tackled him they were a few feet away from the initial impact they could have gotten if they were still in the same spot.

Once the deers were away, Scott questioned why Eli was still on top of him. "Can you please get off me!"

"It's not gone," She whispers in his ear and she tried to control her heartbeat, but it was no use. If she was alone or with one of her brothers then she would be okay, but Scott was with her. Her asthmatic best friend who couldn't run fast enough to save his life from a chihuahua.

"What's not g-" She covers his mouth with her right hand and uses her left hand to grab the silver knife out of her boot. Scott looked at her in shock, and confusion but made no move to remove her hand.

The growling was getting louder and she knew it was nearer because Scott shifted his head left to right as he tried to find the source of the noise. It was loud enough for human ears to pick up on.

She slowly got up but motioned for Scott to stay down, and he did as told. He didn't know what to do but Eli surely did, and someone had to be the leader. She walked in a circular motion to find the culprit but once she looked up; she screamed.