Chapter Twenty-Eight

Iris had a new routine.

Wake up, eat, train, and fight. Wash and repeat.

It had become so monotonous that she didn't even need to think. Her body had become so well accustomed to these new tasks and rules are easy to follow. She wasn't allowed to go out, except for the special favor she asked regarding Chief's food. That was easy because more often than not she'll be so spent for the day that all she could look forward to was rest. She wasn't allowed to socialize with her friends, which was also manageable, because now they probably hated her. It was a breeze because she's been through this routine ever since she was a child.

Her father sighed in disapproval as he ran his eyes over her body. She knew she was beat up more than he liked, but there's nothing he can do especially when she's currently being sent out to fight every night. Try as she might to keep up her performance for Avalon's satisfaction, in the end she was still only human. You keep bringing out your prized dog in a fight without giving it a chance to fully recuperate, sooner or later he'll start to degrade.

But Amos was having none of that. "I'll talk to Avalon. Hopefully he'll give you rest days between each fight."

Rest days meant she'll have time to think, to be alone in her thoughts. She didn't like that.

He left her to be treated by her doctor. He wasn't Bernard who gave off a calm and kind aura. This was someone who was just doing his job, but of course triple the pay. Maybe even more. Who knows with the amount of money that Avalon is raking in these days?

Who knows? She didn't even know what day it is anymore. All she knew was its winter. Has the holiday ended already? She did see a Christmas tree in her dorm's lobby that night...That night. She blinked, shaking her thoughts away. A faint throb in her chest made her pause. No, no use for all of that. She's been in her bubble for so long, the void that her father had taught her of. In the void, there's no room for emotions, no room for anything that she once considered important to her. She was also thankful for it because it meant she didn't feel any kind of pain. Her broken finger? Nothing. Her body that was a dozen shades of purple? Nothing. If she hadn't learned this technique, she wouldn't last long in her current predicament. She had gotten this far thanks to it, and she will keep this up until Ian's fully recovered.

All she got to do was be in it...and feel nothing.

"How are you still standing up?" The doctor murmured in both amazement and fear. "You shouldn't be able to with the extent of your injuries. You should actually be in bed for at least two months."

"As if you really care whether I live or die," Iris said, staring at him.

"Oh, I do care, Iris. I very much want you to live for a long time," A glint appeared in his eye. "I plan to take care of your body very well."

Twisted as this doctor was, he did meticulously treat every injury she had. Truly, money makes the world go round.

Amos came back later that day, relief evident on his weathered face. "Fortunately the sponsors were so satisfied with your last match that they're actually the ones who pushed the boards with giving you a couple night's rest. Some rich brat has gathered quite a group, and they're talking the ears off of Avalon that he had no choice but to go through with it. Must be one hell of a donation he's made for that man to give in."

Another throb in Iris' chest. She only knew of one brat in her life and that was Julian. Amos must have caught whatever brief expression that was on her face. He asked, "You know him?"

Iris nodded, but didn't elaborate further. Instead she said, "I'm surprised you're on board with that decision." After all, wasn't he the one who always drilled into her mind that Ian's recovery should be at the forefront of her priorities, and more fights meant more funds for his treatments.