Chapter Twenty-Three

a/n: hi guys, i know this was an agonizingly slow update. but i hope everyone is safely inside their homes! keep safe!

thanks for reading!

~*~

At first light, Ares sat drinking a cup of coffee with Jack. The bustle of Chief's kitchen, getting ready to feed bottomless pits for stomachs. The dorm started to wake despite last night. As the room slowly filled, Ares stared at the boys gathering. No... They looked young, but those eyes spoke of maturity beyond their years. That's just the way it's always been—in environments like these, you were forced to grow quick. There's no way out of it.

"Last night's not a joke, I'm sure you're all still tired...we can talk about this later on the day, I'm not going away so no need to worry." Ares said, knowing his words bounced from stubborn skulls. It was worth a try still. He looked back and met Chief's eye, a small nod given. "Alright, why don't we fill our stomachs first?"

For show he walked decisively up to Chief and waited as he scooped good ol' bacon and eggs. Props to the big guy, he went all out. There's a surprisingly excellent choices for their breakfast. He took a seat, preferring this change that Dom had made in the room. Starting now, it should always be this way with the tables stacked in one long column. Felt more right somehow.

As they ate, Ares was glad for the big chef's presence. The weariness of the group seemed to subside, and he could feel the tension seeping away though not all. When forks scraped empty plates, it was back to business.

"Alright. Last night's a huge mess," Ares started, eyes flicking to every face. "And...I don't know where to start."

"Let's start with the most important." It was no surprise it was Caleb who took the wheel. "Is he gone for good?"

It was also the most difficult, something Ares had been hoping to save for last. Maybe not even mention at all. His hesitation spoke volumes, and the weary acceptance that showed in everyone's face was no better than if they were angry instead. They expected as much. "There's no excuse for what he did. Nothing. Whatever they say, I'm not letting the son of a bitch back." His own words seemed hollow, just empty promises. What could he do? He's powerless. He's a kid. Even then, they believed in him. Just look at those trusting faces.

"Why were you gone?" Link asked, an expression of resolve, as if he's already got an idea what Ares' answer would be.

He's been gone days, hasn't he. What could he say? Where to even start? That he's been sent on a wild chase? Given a job to round up the best, reasonable opponents for these guys, only to come back to Henry's gloating smile and the news that Gregory had approved of a list of other fighters he hadn't made? That he's been trying to narrow down sponsors who might just try a crazy stunt, and never given much freedom to act in a way that he could secure everyone's safety? That despite evidence of Rayvis' motives, they still wanted to catch him in the act. Prevention wasn't their priority. Hell, they probably never even expected Ares to push through. He's bound. His grandfather had never given him power to begin with, nothing but child's play to keep him here. Ares had been delusional right from the start, thinking he could protect these people...but he's still just a kid. The only thing he's good at? Scaring people, he might as well just be The Bogeyman. He doubted Henry's gonna stay quivering in his pants. So what could he actually do? What could he do?

Suddenly he felt so tired. Jack was quick to notice any change. "It was just work, guys. No need to know the lame stuff. But we were trying to figure out who was sending those outrageous marriage proposals! And that led us to freaking Rayvis..." He shook his head, an expression of bafflement on his face. "All along, Ares' intuition was spot on. I was too naive to think him harmless."