Chapter Eight

The dorm was quiet and peaceful on a Sunday morning, every occupant getting the sleep they deserved. Only a handful were awake at the crack of dawn, and Iris was in time for her morning tutoring session with Ares.

His eyes were cold as he frowned at her, taking in her running clothes. It didn't affect her one bit as she took a seat in front of him. "Lowell ran with me."

Not all the way though, but he doesn't need to know that. Ares' eyebrow raised, "That trail must have some sentimental value to you."

"It does." She answered, looking him in the eye. Let him see how firm she was on running in that place.

"At least one of us have pleasant memories about it." He turned his eyes back to his laptop, a sign of their conversation being over. 

Iris frowned as she turned to her work as well. Did something happen to him at the trail? It's not that she cared about him, but it was a place close to her heart. Knowing she won't be able to concentrate with an issue nagging at her mind, she set her pen down and asked, "What happened?"

He spared her a confused glance, "Making friends with Lowell and now a sudden interest in my life. Are you sure you're not an impostor?"

She expected that. "I'm not interested in your life. I'm interested in knowing about the trail."

"When you put it like that, it kind of wounds me." A smirk appeared.

Hot and cold, that's what he is. "I don't think you care what I think about you."

Amusement glittered in his eyes, "How so?"

"You just don't."

"And you're correct," He agreed, face closing off. "Asking about it isn't going to solve your math problems, so I suggest you start working on it."

It was worth a try still. Iris will just have to get an answer from somewhere else. Just as she was thinking about that, someone stepped out of the elevator. Jack. He seemed close to Ares, or at least the only person that she constantly sees interacting with him.

"I can already tell Iris doesn't enjoy your company much," Jack's cheery voice shattered the usual silence of the study room. He took a seat in one of the bean bags scattered around and watched them with a grin, "What a pity for a cute girl to be stuck with your presence."

Ares didn't even bother looking up. "Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"If it's to save a damsel from a certain troll, then yes, I think I just got to my destination."

"This damsel of yours," Ares' mouth quirked up at the expression on her face. He knew she wasn't quite fond of the word. "is in danger of getting expulsion. If you wanna help, leave."

"Alright. That's not what I came here for, though it is good to see your face, Iris," Jack said, sounding serious all of a sudden. "Chairman's calling for you, man, and I think he doesn't look too pleased."

Ares sighed, running a hand through his black hair. "What does that old geezer want now?" He stood up and gathered his things in speed, sparing Iris a quick glance. "We're done for today, but make sure next time we meet you're well prepared or it's not gonna be pretty."

He left the room, his threat hanging over Iris. Jack chuckled in amusement as he stood up as well. "How the tables have turned. Ares doing the teaching—" He laughed to himself, shaking his head. "Never thought I'd see that. And he's enjoying it."

Iris had to admit that she was curious. That didn't settle well with her guts, wanting to know about Ares. Curiousity about anyone was not in her list, but she couldn't stop her mouth from asking. "Why?"