Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start writing your story

a/n: i know, i know.... this took sooo long. i've just been really busy!!! for the OG readers still around, you're the best. i hope you all stay safe!

~*~

"I'm just visiting... It's nice to see you all."

Those were Iris' last words at that unfortunate day. They hadn't noticed that there had been a man in dark suit waiting for her by the entrance, in the same stoic stance that all security at Visco usually held. Then Iris nodded her head to everyone, face devoid of emotions, before turning her back and leaving along with the security.

As if she hadn't just had her first kiss, nor learned that Caleb and Axel had been going at each other's throats because of her gone. She just stayed for a few seconds, then left as if she hadn't been there at all in the first place. It was funny because it only left them hungering for more as new questions popped in their minds. 

Lowell sighed. It's been two weeks since that happened yet it all felt like yesterday. It repeated in his mind over and over, analyzing what went wrong, what's different about her, who was that with her? Questions that can't seem to stop no matter how hard he tried to. Not to mention that the only one who can answer their questions was MIA as well. Why was everyone suddenly pulling a disappearing act? Was it some fucking trend these days? 

One evening, it was another gloomy dinner with everyone. Axel had completely turned into an island. He refused to talk to anyone, not even Chief could coax him out of his storm. It was bizarre, but they more or less likely guessed that Iris was caught up into something big at Visco's World. That could be the only reason, he was damn sure of it. The question was, what was it and why? 

As he pondered over a dozen possibilities and still coming up with nothing, something caught Lowell's eyes. It was a pot in Chief's hands, and the big chef held it like a babe. It was familiar. It roused a particular memory in his mind, and his eyes widened at the realization. It was the same pot that Iris was praising in front of her door looking completely like Gollum.

"Who are you feeding this time, Chief?" Lowell tried to banter lightly, but he didn't feel it that much. Caleb and the other's heads turned up out of curiosity.

"Oh," Chief answered, "This is nothing. I'm just taking care of it since it's already been left behind."

He felt his forehead scrunching in confusion. "It doesn't make sense for Iris to leave that behind."

"Turns out we just don't know her as well as we thought we do." Steven said, waving his hand away in disappointment.

But something glimmered in the chef's eyes, so Lowell didn't stop pestering him. He could see that Caleb felt it, too. "Could it be that Ares is using that thing again?" If he's back, Lowell swore he's gonna pester him until he gets some real answers. He couldn't care less if he gets skinned alive. 

Chief shrugged, turning his back on them. "Don't bother reading into this too deep. It's just a pot that's been left behind." 

At this point they were all confused like hell. They stared at each other with puckered up faces, brows knitted together. It had begun to garner attention from the others. Mark was blinking in rapid succession while Colin began to circle a finger on one side of his temple. Had the Chief gone completely bonkers? Was he the one who was affected the worst out of them all at Iris' mysterious disappearance?

But... that pot was something special. If it meant being lead to Ares, it wouldn't hurt to try keeping an eye on it. 

Caleb thought the same thing. It sounded insane, but at this point they were all ready to do anything.