TWENTY ONE

Roxy stared at the ceiling fan spinning above her in a blur. Through the large windows the sunrise was painting the walls a bright orange. In a daze she rolled onto her side, keeping the duvet close beneath her chin. Birds outside twittered, wagging their feathery tails as they sat on the railing of the veranda. In the far paddocks the horses swished their tails as they grazed. From the cabins she could hear the Omegas beginning their day. Everything around her was normal. The world had continued to turn, awakening to another day. But Roxy felt like she'd been paused, made to stay still as her life was thrown into utter turmoil.

Her eyes flickered down to the carpet where the rogue from her night terror had sent glass shattering. That'd been the night before Isaac dropped the bombshell. Had it been a sign? A horrible premunition? She rolled onto her back again, her eyes finding the spinning blades. Sleep had eluded her, her brain working overtime to try and come to a reason what made her and Cleo so special. There'd been nothing unique about them from any other Omega until Cleo had been crowned Luna of Saltwater Woods. And yesterday only proved that Roxy wouldn't be organising her own bonding ceremony anytime soon.

Roxy could steel feel the cold rain piercing into her flesh and she'd stood in front of Isaac. His white T-shirt had been soaked through, outlining the crevice of each muscle in his body with it stuck to his skin. The wet fabric had exposed a collection of tattoos, ones she wanted to place trails of kisses between like a glorious road map. The feeling of him on her fingertips still lingered; the heat of his body, the slickness of his skin, the rain being the only thing to extinguish her own skin which had felt aflame. Their foreheads had rolled against each other, one of them dying for the other to let go of any reservations. A tug of war of wills. Their breaths had mingled, hot and ragged. Roxy had begun to imagine Isaac's mouth against hers, his hands dragging over every patch of her body with a devouring eagerness.

Instead, she'd stumbled into thin air.

Roxy rolled onto her side, tucking herself deeper into her blankets while the wolf inside of her whined. They were confused. More than they ever had been. Their soulmate who'd rejected them clearly wanted them. Whilst she hadn't been able to drag the truth out of him, it was apparent that the deaths of Isaac's and Kayla's parents was a large factor behind his motives.

History.

Aren't you scared of what I'll do it you?

The monster inside.

Cursed.

Fucked.

Roxy hoped she'd came across as fearless, when inside her wolf was preparing to defend themselves. In hindsight, calling Isaac a coward hadn't been the best way to encourage him in opening up about his past. Beneath his human skin she could see the inky shadow of his wolf stir. Alphas didn't take kindly to insult; they were creatures of pride. Isaac had towered over her. Alphas didn't like being questioned either; they were creatures of authority. His eyes had glowed and his teeth had gritted. Alphas didn't tolerate someone questioning their integrity, much less an Omega. But Roxy wasn't a regular Omega. She was his soulmate – the potential Luna of Moonlight Ridge. The soulmate he was terrified of hurting with the monster inside of him. But she'd insulted every attribute of an Alpha – insulted him – and she hadn't earnt a scratch.

It was proof that Isaac didn't believe in himself as much as she did. Fear, although no Alpha would even admit to experiencing such an emotion, hadn't allowed Isaac to even try. To believe in himself.

Someone had to.

Roxy's brain was beginning to feel like it was on some sort of haunted merry-go-round. The horses were broken, the amusement park desolate and the cheery music was skipping and lagging. It was time to get off – just for a short time.