[17]

***

***

The following day of the third task at the ending feast, all Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons students gathered in the Great hall. I sat next to my sisters as usual, despite wanting to sit by my friends. Unlike George's glowing description of the ending feast, the one being held was much duller than any other year. Grey banners hung from the cloudy ceiling and no students were smiling, none were cheering, all of us sat in silence as we waited for Dumbledore to speak up.

Finally, the headmaster sighed and said, "today, we acknowledge . . . . a really terrible loss." Dumbledore stood from his chair as he continued, "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know . . . . exceptionally hard-working . . . . infinitely fair-minded . . . .  and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died."

"You see . . . . Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!" I winced at the mention of the dark wizard's name as did many other students in the hall. "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me — reminds us — while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever."

"Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was  . . . . kind and honest and  . . . . brave and true right to the very end," the Professor finished. Towards the end of the speech, I directed my eyes to George. He looked around and his soft brown eyes met mine. I sighed before moving my attention to Fleur, who was holding Gabrielle's hand. She looked over to me and smiled softly. She enlaced our hands together and brought me into her side. Making sure I stayed in her arms until we left the hall.

***

"Nadeleine," a sad voice came from behind me, and I turned around to see George standing there. I was sat at the Ravenclaw table on the foreign student's last breakfast at Hogwarts before we left. George was twiddling with his finger, something I noticed he did when he was nervous.

"Hello, George. What is it?" I asked, and he opened his mouth to say something but closed it; he looked to be searching for what to say.

"Ca--can I talk to you?" he stammered, and I smiled up at him.

"Of course," I stood from my seat, and we walked out of the hall and into the corridor. George led me to an abandoned classroom close by; my class had used it for Drama class.

"Okay — erm, how do I start this?" George mumbled, and I furrowed my eyebrows. "Well, first of all, I'd like to tell you just how much fun I've had this year with you. And — erm — also that I'll miss you after — erm — after you leave and everything. And uh second of all, I'd like to do something if you are — erm — you know okay with it. So uh may I?" he choked out, and I grinned at how flushed he was. His cheeks were burning up, and his ears were a deep pink.

"Sure. What do you want to do?" I asked, tilting my head to the side as he opened his mouth again, only for nothing to come out.

Without another stumble over his words or playing with his hands, he stepped towards me. His arm wrapped around my waist, and he placed a soft kiss against my lips. I froze, my eyes widening and my eyebrows shooting up. He quickly pulled away and walked back a few steps.

"I'm sorry I — I merely wanted to try it and get it over with before you left. Be — because I knew if I didn't at least try it that I would regret it for the rest of my life and would always be wondering if someone as perfect as you felt the same way about me as I did for you," I was still frozen in place as he continued rambling on. The smell of my Amourtentia filled my nostrils again, and I got a jump of cravings to keep the scent close. I never wanted to lose it.

Without knowing my actions or thought process, I broke the distance between us, causing George to stop talking. My hands slowly found their way to the back of his neck, and I brought him down to my height, going on my tip-toes. He glanced down at me with a solemn expression. He gulped, and his stare fell on my lips before shooting back up.

I did the same, only never took my eyes off them.

I then tugged him forward and captured his lips in another kiss. They molded perfectly together, neither one of us gaining any dominance over each other, keeping the kiss sweet and passionate. Our tongues still danced together as I twirled my fingers in his ginger hair.

Once I broke it, I watched as his eyes fluttered open. His arms were encasing my figure with such delicacy I felt like I was floating. He brought our foreheads together, so they barely touched and sighed blissfully. His thumb was running across my cheek while I continued to run my hand through his hair.

"I fancy you, George," I whispered so softly I could hardly hear the echo of my voice in my head.

"I fancied you ever since I layed eyes on you," he replied in the same volume.

"I know. You told me," I teased, and he chuckled.

"I'm gonna miss you," he suddenly turned mournful again, which caused me to do the same.

"I'll write to you. I promise," I smiled, but it turned out weak and depressed.

"You better," he attempted a laugh.

***

Gabrielle dragged Fleur and me out into the courtyard with Madame Maxime to say our final goodbyes. We started with Roger Davies, Fleur's Yule ball date. Fleur was in the middle of a hug with him when Gabrielle grabbed our hands and pulled us over to Ron, who was sitting alone, watching Hermione say goodbye to Viktor.

Gabrielle tapped Ron's shoulder, and as he turned around, she kissed his cheek. He froze as Fleur beamed. "Au revoir, Ron," she said and kissed his forehead. I smiled at him, touching his shoulder before heading off towards my friends while Fleur and Gabrielle continued their goodbyes.

As I made it into their line of sight, I saw Lee tap George on the shoulder rapidly. Everyone looked my way, and in an instant, Angelina ran up to me and squeezed me tightly. "Do you have to go?" she asked and broke the hug.

"I will write to you guys. And we can meet up during the summer," I soothed, and Lee engulfed me in his hug, soon followed by Fred. As we broke apart, he grabbed my hat and hid it behind his back. Angelina giggled, and I shook my head. "That won't keep me here, Fred," I argued, and he huffed.

"I know. I'm just going to miss you so much! I won't be able to mock your accent anymore!" He whined, stomping his foot and giving me my hat back. I put it back on and laughed.

Then there was one more person to say goodbye to. We stared at each other for a moment or two; in that time, I tried to memorize every one of his features. Every freckle on his face, every swirl of brown in his eyes, even the subtle dimples he had as he lifted his lips into a soft grin.

He was the one to walk forward and embrace me into the warmth of his touch. I took a deep breath of his natural smell of gunpowder, sweets, and cedarwood—the unmistakable scent of my Amortentia. He stepped back with no words exchanged between us, kissed my cheek, and returned to his spot beside Lee.

***

Students cheered as my sisters and I led the group of Beauxbatons pupils through the crowd and down to the carriage, the giant winged horses waiting for us. We all loaded into the carriage, with Madame Maxime being the one to close the door behind her. Everyone crowded around the windows as we took off, watching all the Hogwarts students gawk as we flew by. We saw the Durmstrang ship sink back into the water, and not long after, I could hardly see Hogwarts. The British school was merely just an image produced by my memory now.