[21]

***

***

"Is Defense Against the Dark Arts any different here at Hogwarts?" I asked George as we followed behind Fred, Angelina, and Lee on our way to Professor Umbridge's classroom. No one was looking forward to it, but they were definitely interested in Umbridge's teaching methods after learning she works for the Ministry.

"It's not all pretty," Fred spoke up and mocked the way he thought the French did defensive spells. I pushed him forward into the room as Lee laughed at Fred's impersonation. We saw Professor Umbridge sitting at her short desk, which George noted must've been adjusted for her small stature. I sat with George in the middle of the class with Fred, Angelina, and Lee on our sides.

Umbridge observed the different students walking in with a rather evil smile which did not bring me comfort to enjoy this year. But I never wanted to be too quick to judge, so I grit my teeth together as the last group of students filed in. Once the last person sat down, Umbridge sighed, standing from her desk and flicking her wand. The door slowly began to shut, and the students' murmuring stopped.

"Good evening, children," Umbridge giggled; it was shrill and extremely high pitched. I restrained from covering my ears. "Today, I will be answering any questions you may have about your new curriculum of defensive magic," she flicked her relatively short wand again, most likely representing her height, and the two stacks of books on her desk were placed amongst the students.

Everyone began flicking through the new books with curiosity. Once I noticed no mention of practicing defensive spells, I raised my hand. "Yes, dear," Umbridge pointed to me.

"There is nothing about defensive spells in a practicing manner," I stated, and she furrowed her thin eyebrows, her small face becoming wrinkled.

"I'm sorry dear what was that?" She asked, cupping her hand to her ear.

"There is no such thing mentioning using defensive spells," I repeated, trying to talk slower.

"I'm sorry I can't get through your accent, dear," she answered, her face still too lively for any ordinary teacher.

"She said there's nothing about using the spells you'll teach us," George clarified, but Umbridge's confused expression never left her face.

Her face then clenched and became bitter. "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my classroom," she snapped, which shocked everyone. She took a deep breath and put the smile back on her face as the students went back to observing their books.

Lee then raised his hand. "You still haven't answered Nadeleine's question," he added.

"Who is Nadeleine, Mr. Jordan?" She asked him, and Lee pointed at me.

"Me, Madame," I spoke up.

"Students will also refer to me as my original title," Umbridge scolded me, and I closed my mouth before adding anything on. "To answer your question, Mr. Jordan. I don't see why you would need to use defensive spells in my classroom."