Chapter 60: Embassy

“Can we talk?” asked Teo, “we have a proposition for you.”

“We remember the last one - and look where that got us,” said Laura, but her tone and her smile were warmer than her words.

The women had been eating breakfast in the galley when the four alien men had walked in. There was no mistaking the flash of warmth between Kate and Matias, while the smile that passed between Gemma and Irvn - quick as it was - did not pass unnoticed by the other women, who each made a mental note to interrogate Gemma later.

“We have been discussing what we should do next,” continued Teo, “and our duty to our planet. You know we never agreed with the methods some of our people planned to use, which is why we stole this ship and left. But the fact remains that our race still faces extinction and it is our responsibility to do everything we can to help.”

“We are reasonably certain,” continued Irvn, “that women from Earth might be compatible with us - ”

Laura cut across him.

“So we’re back where we started,” she said coldly, “abduction.”

“No.” said Irvn firmly. “I hope we’ve made it clear that - despite our own actions - that cannot be the way forward. But there might be be an opportunity for persuasion.”

“You actually suggested it yourselves,” added Cymon, “when you joked about an alien dating site. We think, that is, we hope that many women might be amenable to the idea. A new life, a new world.”

“And you think our governments - our men - would just let you walk in and start recruiting?”

“Yes,” said Irvn, “that is the only way it could happen, with full co-operation and entirely voluntary.”

“They’d never let you,” said Gemma.

“We believe they would,” said Matias, “because there is a lot we have to offer…our science…our technology…space travel.”

“You’re talking about trade?” said Kate, stunned, “You can’t be serious?”

“We are,” said Irvn, “Think about it: we are many, many years ahead of you technologically and no Earth government would turn down the opportunity.”

“I think we may have heard this one before,” said Amisha, “it’s no better than beads for the natives.”

“No,” said Teo firmly, “it would not be like that at all. We would be seeking permission to…invite women…openly, with all the guarantees and safeguards that would be required.”

“A mutual co-operation that advances your planet - and saves ours,” added Cymon.

The women fell silent, trying to take in what the aliens had said. It was Gemma who spoke first.

“Actually,” she said thoughtfully, “I could see how it might just work. But the obstacles are enormous.”

“We were hoping,” said Irvn hesitantly, “that you four might be willing to help.”

“You’re kidding,” said Kate.

“No,” said Matias, looking directly at her, “only you four have first-hand evidence of what we are like. We are hoping you might agree to become part of an embassy from our planet. With your help, with you alongside us, your people could see the advantages. Other women would be reassured.”

“A new career procuring women for aliens,” said Amisha, “my family will be sooo proud.”

“So you’re thinking of… returning to Earth…with us?” said Laura.

“No,” said Teo. “Not immediately. As you know, we don’t speak for our entire planet. If this is to work, the embassy must come from Sacmis, from all of our people.”

“So what’s your plan?” asked Gemma.

“To return to Sacmis, connect with others who think the same and return to Earth as an official embassy.”

“Sounds good,” said Amisha. “Do look us up when you get back.”

“There is…something else…” said Irvn.

“…we want you to come with us,” added Teo.

There was a stunned silence.

“You gave your word to take us home - to Earth,” accused Laura.

“We are. We’re on our way now,” said Teo quickly, “but we believe any embassy we send to Earth would stand a better chance if it’s accompanied by four women who have seen our planet. Who can witness at first hand what it’s like, what they can expect, to explain how we…connect…on a different level.”

A stunned silence followed.

“You seem to forget we have our own lives to lead, which we’d still be leading if you hadn’t abducted us. We need to go back,” said Amisha.

“We understand that,” said Cymon, although they could detect the disappointment in his voice, “all we ask is that you consider this. Go home, resume your lives. Think about what we have said.”

“All we ask,” said Teo, “is that, three months from now, you let us make contact again. It’s possible you may think differently then. If not all of you, then perhaps one or two…?”

“You mean to grab us again?” said Laura.

“No,” said Irvn. “Easier than that. We’ve…modified…your cellphones. We’ll call you.”

All four women laughed.

“We’ve heard that one before,” said Laura, “but I guess in your case we can probably rely on it.”

“I can just see it now,” said Gemma, “I’m with friends and my cell rings: ‘Sorry guys, have to take this, it’s an old friend from the other side of the galaxy.’

“You can also call us and each other,” added Irvn, “using special numbers we’ll give you.”

“Ah, just one question,” said Amisha, “Call me mean-minded but might not calling another galaxy incur some pretty hefty charges?”

“No,” said Teo, smiling, “it won’t show up on your bill. In fact, you may find your bills much, much lower than before. Another…er…modification.”

“Cool,” said Laura.

“If you try to make contact, it may take some time to reach us. But we promise to respond as quickly as the laws of physics allow,” said Matias.

“You know our answer is most likely to be ‘no’,” said Amisha.

“We are aware of that,” said Cymon, “all we ask is that you consider it.”

“We will,” said Laura.

© Adriana Nicolas 2015