Chapter 30: Departure

Arriving on the Bridge, they found the other three Aliens stationed behind the largest of the control consoles. Their couches were now semi-reclined, with the controls and instruments rotated into position above them.

They stood to greet the women, then led each of them to a row of seats positioned behind their own.

“These are acceleration couches,” explained Teo, as he led Laura to one of them, “designed to cushion you against any movement.”

The couch was orthopedically shaped - like a dentist’s chair - covered with a soft layer that moulded itself to her shape. Teo showed her how to fasten the straps: one went round her thighs, the other round her waist.

She looked across and grinned at the others who were also in the process of being strapped in.

It was Gemma who started it.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of Captain Irvn and his crew, I’d like to welcome you to this Atrian airlines flight to Mars, Jupiter and Saturn…”

“…the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign,” continued Kate, “so please make sure your seat belts are securely fastened and your tables are in the upright position…”

“…please give your full attention as the flight attendants demonstrate the safety features of this aircraft,” added Laura.

“Captain to cabin crew, doors on automatic, cross-check and report,” said Amisha, before she dissolved into giggles along with the others.

There was an electronic whir as Teo’s chair rotated until he was facing them. He was smiling.

“Let me tell you what’s about to happen,” he said. “To start, we have to break away from the light gravitational field of the Moon, reposition the ship for Mars launch, then use full engine power for about 10 minutes. This will accelerate us to two-thirds light speed, before we cut the engines. While all this is happening, you will feel shifts in gravity: sometimes you’ll feel almost weightless, at others - especially when the engines come in - you’ll feel heavier than normal. Understood?”

“Roger that, Mr Spock,” said Amisha.

Teo’s couch swung back into the forward position.

The next few minutes were both alarming and exciting. It began with a hum that came from somewhere behind them, growing to a low-frequency rumble that they could feel through the couches as well as hear. Looking ahead through the panoramic view that curved half way round the bridge, they could see the Moon start to slip past to one side, until it disappeared from view altogether. To begin with they felt a slight reduction in gravity - not weightlessness - but enough to reduce the pressure of their bodies on the couches. Then the sound from the engines rose to a higher pitch and the vibrations increased in intensity then - suddenly - it felt as if the ship had been released like an arrow from a bow and a massive hand was pressing them down and back into the couches. The view ahead blurred as stars and sun distorted and elongated, points of light stretching into bright lines, creating a vortex down which they seemed to be hurtling.

In front of them, they could see the Aliens’ hands adjusting various controls, their heads turning one way and the other to check the screens in front of them. Occasionally, they spoke to each other in their own language. Even though the words were indecipherable, the calmness of their tone was enough to reassure the women that this was routine.

Then just when it felt as if the pressure would never let up, it was gone. Their bodies resumed their normal weight and they turned to smile reassuringly at each other at an ordeal passed.

“You can undo the straps now,” said Matias, moving to help Kate.

As the women stood up, Teo pointed out into space.