Capter 13: Laura

Laura stepped out of the shower with one overriding thought:

I’m starving!

When Teo had told her about his outrageous plans, her first thought was to refuse to co-operate in any way. And when he suggested they eat together, she had been on the point of saying no.

But her lawyer’s brain persuaded her that - rationally - there was nothing to be gained by refusing and probably more to be lost. What she needed more than anything was information and, so far, Teo was her only source. If she was to escape, she needed to stay strong - and starving herself wouldn’t help.

Besides, if everything he said about his liking for her was true, then manipulating him might not be so very difficult. He was, after all, just another man, even if he was an Alien as he claimed. But then she reminded herself, all men werepretty alien when it came down to it. Jake being a prime example.

Catching sight of her naked body in the closet mirror, she realised she was not entirely without advantages of her own. The thought made her smile, to be chased away very quickly by the need to pay more attention to her immediate surroundings. Focus, she reminded herself sternly.

When she’d first entered this second room, she’d been so angry about Teo spying on her most private moments that she hadn’t really paid it much attention. Now she had a proper look round. 

It was as plain as the first room but contained a very minimalist couch, a chair in the same style and a low table between them. What it most reminded her of was one of those budget business hotels: clean, functional, anonymous. Maybe that’s where I am, she thought, although she didn’t know of many hotels that offered such a good view of the dark side of the moon. 

Her eye was caught by a shelf that ran across the short side of the room, moulded into the fabric of the wall itself. At one end was a small, square vase of flowers which she recognised immediately: freesias, her favourite. Real, too, she realised as she bent to inhale their heady fragrance. ‘How sweet’ was her first thought. ‘How controlling’ was her second.

Next to the flowers was a short row of books. Only ten or so, each by one of her favourite authors, but ones she so far hadn’t read. ‘How thoughtful’ and ‘How manipulative’ competed for a moment in her head, then called it a draw.

Time to dress. Opening the closet she couldn’t suppress the tiniest squeak of excitement: every item was a label she loved, every one the very latest. In fact, she had even earmarked a couple of them for her next shopping trip - and here they were. And the colours and sizes were all spot on, exactly what she would have chosen for herself. Conclusive proof he really isn’t a normal man, she thought with a smile.

She quickly selected a Ted Baker top and matched it with a pair of his skinny jeans. No way was she wearing a skirt, even though the ones hanging there were to die for. 

Underwear? Pulling out a drawer she realised she might just as well be staring into her knicker drawer at home, since every item was identical.

© Adriana Nicolas 2014