June (ACT II)

Santa Monica BLVD, CA, September 8th, 1997
4:00pm

For a brief moment, it felt like a spirit had left Dr Kleffs office with Michael's confession.

Afia was sniffing away, and Michael sat forlornly in his chair, as if attending a funeral.

Not even Dr Kleff was sure how to tackle the situation.

They seemed to be so vulnerable, and volatile, even a trained specialist had to take time to consider his approach.

Dr Kleff held his hands together, and twiddled his thumbs for a moment, before sighing and sitting forward once more.

"Infidelity, is an extremely painful experience for both parties," He began, looking down, "The perpetrator will feel guilt, and the victim, betrayed.." Kleff sounded hesitant.

Michael scoffed, sniffing up some tears and blinking up at the ceiling.

"I've ruined everything," He choked, trembling now, as his lip quivered, "I know I have.."

Afia decided that her eyes should remain closed.

She knew that Michael hadn't been faithful.

To her, it seemed so obvious.

When she'd asked Michael's associates and staff, about how he behaved when she wasn't around, they all told her that he was a good and faithful husband.

They all lied to her.

Security had obviously helped him to sneak around, and lie, and so had many others.

It was just a question of to what extent he was involving himself with other women.

How far, and how deep was his relationship with June Chandler?

Afia held her chest, rubbing circles into her skin to try and rub away the feeling of heartache.

It was a deep and sobering feeling.
It knawed at her insides cruelly.

She breathed hard, and blinked her eyes open.

"Liar," Was the only word that she could spit out once again, and it made Michael cower in his chair, "You're a liar.." Afia stared at him like she'd stare at a stranger.

Michael winced at the look in her eyes.
All the fire that she had there before was gone.

All the electricity had fallen static.

All of those heated glances she'd give him across the room, were replaced with an icy glaze.

She was a different woman now.

He'd done that.

He had to accept his part in changing her into someone he sometimes disliked.

When Michael and Afia first met, she was a bubbly, adoring woman.

She doted, and fawned, and made a huge fuss over him.
He loved her for that.