KANDI'S WORLD, ATL (ACT III)

The Ritz Carlton Hotel, Atlanta, Georgia, September 10th, 1997
8:24pm

So, the day had been long.

Unnecessarily long.

Michael had dragged Afia through Atlanta, like a little doll.

She smiled from ear to ear for every flash.

So many flashes, that even when she blinked now, she could still see stars.

She'd worn her beautiful black dress.
Short and simple.

Thin straps over the shoulders.

A gold anklet, with a small little padlock, clinking on her leg, in her strappy black heels.

Of course, she allowed Bush to drape the red rope over her shoulder, and loop it under her arm.

Of course, after Michael had left the gold cuff on the bed, moments before they left, she slipped it faithfully up her onto her warm skin.

It was just formality.

They'd appeared at the Museum in good time, walking gracefully arm in arm, with an army of children behind them.

An army of fans.

Afia felt like a lion inside of an enclosure.
She felt, for the first time, repulsed by fame.

Her heels had clicked along the museum, her feet sore, as she remained wide eyed, and smiling.

Michael's arm linked in her own, as he adorned a black silk mask.

He'd loved the spectacle.

Turning and waving as Museum goers called their names, security, fighting, to keep the couple inches away from being suffocated amongst the many bodies.

Michael glanced down into Afia's eyes, and although she plastered an award winning smile on her face every time, her eyes were murky.

Swimming with complete and utter mistrust.
Nerves.

He'd tried, to talk to her with his eyes, but since his mouth was covered, Afia could only see desperation.

His eyes, like brown mirrors, reflected nothing.

Just fear.

They'd even unveiled the exhibit at the museum, and Afia had stepped forward, onto the podium, as the clicking of shutters and silence fell, awaiting her words.

Michael, had stood behind her.
Knowing that if one thing was certain, she would say something beautiful.

Something captivating.

And she did.

"-We are here, because the plight, of Atlanta's children, has gone unnoticed for far too long. Where we can inspire change, we hope to inspire all of you. Our mission, as a family, will always be to help the children. To help the world. To heal each other, and ourselves.."