Chapter Two

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Unknown

On the day Melanie turned nine, she became aware of her fatal problem.

She didn't have a soulmate.

She awoke that morning feeling giddy and mature. An unlikely combination, she thought, dressing in her Welcoming gown, the one every girl wore on her ninth. And every boy, his Welcoming suit.

But all joy was diminished when she saw her mother's grave face. Melanie quickly became puzzled, then curious as to why her mother was sad.

How could she possibly be sad on my ninth birthday?! she thought, a little bit flustered. It's bewildering!

Melanie had a knack for using large words in the most appropriate ways. In school, she always surprised her peers and master with long, intricate sentences.

"Why are you unhappy, mother?" at the question, her mother broke into sobs. Her father-who had seemed to have just finished getting ready-dashed into the room, taking his wife into his arms, rocking her gently to and fro, waiting for the cries of depression to subside.

"Come to the sitting room, Melanie." her mother hiccuped. "We have to talk to you."

Melanie perked up. She knew what was coming: the Academy talk. In her classes, they learned about the Soulmate Destiny, and how-at nine-you attended a special academy that focused mainly on preparing you for the Journey. She had checked out many books from the library on this subject, intently interested on its history.

Maybe she's just sad about me growing up, Melanie offered to herself.

"I assume you know what most of this is about?" her father was much calmer about the subject. It was partially because of his repeated assurance to himself that everything would be fine, that his daughter would be successful and live a happy life, with a good husband. But mostly because he knew that if he broke down, his wife nor his daughter would have support, and everything would fall apart.

"Yes, father, I do." Melanie whispered eagerly. She had practiced it a thousand times over in her head. She would be mature, sophisticated.

"Okay, let's begin with the story." her father adjusted his tie, looking at her mother, who was still not quite stable enough. "Every child is born with a Mark. It is a combination of the two parents'. There are only two alike Marks in the world. One on a boy, the other on a girl. It is bore on the inside of the upper right arm.

"This Mark tells you who your soulmate is. The day you turn nine, you are sent to the Academy. The Academy prepares you for the Journey. You begin the Journey when you turn fifteen. All the girls travel around the world to find their soulmate, while the boys stay home and finish their learning. The reason for this is because the girls gather information faster, and the boys have the addition of learning working skills as well.

"You can tell it's your soulmate because when you near them, your Mark becomes warmer, and the farther you go away, the colder it becomes."

But Melanie already knew all of this, and her father could tell by the expression on her face. He took a deep breath, gripping his wife's hand, and wished that he could prepare his only daughter for what came next.

"But, Melanie, there's something wrong. Very, very wrong." She wanted to ask how anything could be wrong with such a beautiful way of life, but kept silent. "You don't have a Mark."

And suddenly, everything collapsed in a tumbling mess. Everything Melanie ever knew, or loved, or the knowledge she so dearly cherished, crashed and spiraled down into a dark abyss of despair. Never had any of her classmates claimed to know as much a she did of the subject, nor adore it a much as her. Her eyes misted over, and she gripped the couch and bit her lip to keep from screaming.

"I'm so sorry, baby." her mother finally spoke, even if it was only above a whisper.

Melanie never questioned why the large spot a few inches below her armpit felt so cold and looked so pale. Never asked why she could never wear short sleeves or tank tops. Never showed any resistance when her parents wouldn't let her swim with others.

She touched the empty spot now, letting her fingers trace circles on the snow-white skin. "Why me?" she whispered. "Who knows?"

"No one," her mother answered hurriedly, "except President Sandra."

President Sandra didn't really act as much of a president; there wasn't really much of a need. There had been no rules changed since centuries ago, and no one had committed serious offenses. Everyone was perfectly happy with life.

So to have her in this scared Melanie.

"What will happen?" she tried to keep the terror out of her voice.

"For right now, Sandra said to pretend you do have a Mark. To send you to the Academy, but when it comes time for the Journey, we don't know what we'll do." her father looked down while he spoke, trying to hide his tears.

"Philip!" her mother looked surprised. "She's nine! Don't burden her with so much."

"She has to know." he reasoned.

Melanie was beginning to feel sick. Clutching her stomach, she stood swiftly.

"Bathroom," she croaked, dashing down the hall. Her mother was right behind her, followed by her father. Rolling her sleeves up, she fell to her knees, just making it to the toilet before she vomited.

Darkness came crashing down on her. She slumped down, giving into sleep.