Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"Melanie."

Melanie opened her eyes, then rubbed them with the back of her hands. She was exhausted still, her mind running in circles.

I'm not in my bedroom. I'm in the library. That was nothing new.

I don't have a Mark. Now that was new.

"Melanie," the voice called again, a little impatient this time.

"Hmm?" she replied groggily, sitting up. She had expected it to be Mrs. Hopkins calling her, but she realized the voice was distinctly male.

"Get up, Melanie." She opened her eyes. It was her father.

He looked like he hang slept in days, his hair and clothes disheveled. There were dark circles under his eyes. He was slouching, which was unusual for him.

"I am up," Melanie said, moving into a sitting position. She ran a hand through her tangle of golden hair, frowning.

"It's time to go home." Philip looked sad.

"But..." Melanie searched for an excuse, but couldn't find any. "Why?"

"Because I said so." He snatched her bag off of the floor. "Go get in the car."

Melanie scrambled to her feet, but her father had already left the room. She could hear some of his conversation with Mrs. Hopkins.

"Is she alright?" Hopkins asked.

"Just fine. Her birthday was a little overwhelming. Have a good day."

Philip glanced briefly to make sure Melanie was following, then stalked out the door. Mrs. Hopkins tried to catch her eye, but Melanie couldn't lift her head up. She was embarrassed and ashamed of herself.

She scrawled into the passenger seat, her eyes stinging and her face hot. Her father sat quietly beside her, his fists clenched. Then he let out a yell, slamming his right hand against the steering wheel, honking the horn. Melanie jumped, covering her face.

Philip let out a deep breath. "Melanie," he said, his voice caught between sternness and hurt, "why did you have to do that?"

"Do what?" Melanie finally lifted her head, eyes blazing. "What did I do that was so wrong? I do this all the time. What's different?"

"So, so many things. You don't ever act like this. What happened? You had to...you had to know something was off. Melanie, you are a smart girl. You always knew."

"I always knew, but I never wanted to admit it, Father!" Melanie was screaming. "I never wanted to admit something was wrong with me, that I was a freak. Then you...you said it out loud and I couldn't..."

"Melanie, sweetheart. I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do. You can't blame us for something we have no control over."

But I can, she thought with malice, because, in a way, it is completely your fault. Both of you. 

Instead, she turned her head to look out the window, tuning out every word her father said after that. She played with her fantasies instead, dreaming up her perfect future that was never going to happen.