Chapter Six

"The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself."
-Wallace Stevens

"Melanie, you need to go apologize to your mother." Philip urged, laying a comforting hand on Melanie's shoulder.

"I have nothing to be sorry for." She shrugged his hand off, scooting away from him.

"You disobeyed her."

Melanie felt her temper growing. "I didn't do anything wrong."

"If you didn't do anything wrong, I wouldn't have to ask you to apologize, now would I?"

Melanie curled her hand into a fist, sneaking a glance at her arm. The "Mark" sat perfect and untouched.

She almost believed it was real.

"I'm not going to apologize."

"Mela-"

"She's the one who slapped me!"

Philip closed his mouth, shocked. "She...She said you fell."

"She lied to you." Melanie deadpanned, rolling her eyes.

Melanie stood from the couch, trying to keep herself from sprinting out the door and away from her home. "Maybe you should think twice before trusting her."

She pivoted on her heel and walked to her room, itching to call Nicole. She paced around her room for a moment before slowly sinking to the floor, spotting a bag under her bed. She recalled a story her mother told her, about when Melanie was five years old, how she had wanted to run away. She tried her hardest to bring it to mind.
<><><><><><>
Melanie stomped her foot on the ground, ready to cry.

"But Mommy!" she whined, clutching at the hem of her shirt, "I want ice cream!"

"I said no, Melanie. And no means no. You didn't even finish your dinner." Her mother pried Melanie's hands away.

"Because it was nasty, and I wasn't that hungry."

"Then you're not hungry enough for ice cream."

Melanie stomped off, yelling, "Fine! Then I'm gonna run away and get my own ice cream!"

She reached for her big pink backpack under her bed, stuffing it with coins and toys. She stormed out of the door, trying to remember where the ice cream shop was. Her mother stood at the door, waiting for her to come in.

But Melanie didn't.

She walked all the way to the ice cream shop, and bought herself some ice cream.
<><><><><><>
Melanie stared at that big pink backpack now, slowly reaching out for it. Grasping it in her fingers, she pulled it towards her, filling it with her secret stash of money, her library card, night clothes, and clothes for the next day. Last minute she grabbed her iPod, earbuds, and phone.

She was going to go buy herself some ice cream.
<><><><><><>
"What would you like, darlin'?" the woman at the counter asked, revealing her thick country accent. She looked to be in her mid twenties, with a kind smile and clear complexion.

"Strawberry Cheesecake, please." Melanie replied, straining to keep her voice above a whisper. Her mind flew back to when she was trying to leave the house.
<><><><><><>
Melanie slung the bag over her shoulder. She dashed down the stairs, trying to escape seeing her parents.

She wasn't so lucky.

"Just where do you think you're going?" her mother snarled, a small hint of regret in her face.