Chapter 17- Traitor

The incident spread throughout the academy like wildfire. By the end of the day, everyone knew that a banshee had foretold the death of a loved one by the weird goth girl, Akira. Some people pitied her, while other's didn't care.

"How did it even get through the barrier? There's no way it should have been able to get through it, any time this has happened before the banshee would wait until the student set foot off the compound." Mr. Michaelson said, perplexed at just what was happening in this school.

"Perhaps the barrier is not being as enforced as it should." Mr. Donia said, glancing at Mr. Spear, the man in charge of keeping the barrier up and running.

"If you have something to say bitch just say it, I do my fucking job and I won't sit here and let any of you wastes of space talk down on me." Mr. Spear said looking right at Mr. Donia who saw an unreadable expression in them which made him uncomfortable.

"Hmm, you're oddly defensive at a small hypothesis, now I'm inclined to believe you aren't actually doing your job, maybe you're the waste of space seeing as you can't do the one thing you were hired for, and that certainly isn't your teaching methods." Ms. Tatiana said calmly, taking this matter very seriously as it endangers the lives of her students who she cares for as if they were her own.

"Calm down now. I know you all have your differences but there's no need to be pointing fingers at anyone, this banshee could have simply been far stronger than the our barrier." The principal, Ms. Montgomery said.

"That's a bit unlikely, but possible, for now I suggest that we keep a close eye on the Cellarium, and perhaps Mr. Spear could put a few extra hours into securing the barrier." Mr. Donia said. while standing up, ready to leave the meeting.

"Before you go David, Elijah King. Is he a threat?"

"No ma'am, he's of pure intentions, I assure you." And with that, Mr. Donia left the meeting, the first one he's been to in years, but due to the circumstances he was forced to attend.

"Watch that boy closely, if someone with his aptitude for magic were to go over to that side, I fear what would become of all of us."

The teachers all nodded, stood and got ready to leave, Tatiana unnerved by these recent events and the latest order from the principal.

If the banshee could enter, just what else could? She questioned herself walking down the corridors to see Mr. Donia already waiting for her, his expression grim.

"We might have a traitor in our midst."

***

School was dismissed and Mr. Donia sent Eli a text saying that they won't be having a session today. Eli already figured as much recalling what happened.

Akira was oddly calm, or so she appeared to be, she just carried on about her day. Eli had tried talking to her but she wasn't really in a chatty mood. She just wanted to be left alone for a bit, she already knew who was going to die, there was only one person in her life that she gives a shit about and that is her father or rather, was her father.

Her mother had died during child birth and her father raised her until the age of 12, then he left, no letter, no message, nothing. She knew it was silly, still feeling love for the man who abandoned her, but she could't help but remember all the good times they had. Like when she first learned to ride her broom, despite her previous attempts all involved her crashing right into her dad's face or when they visited the mundane realm for a Linkin Park concert when she was 6.

She didn't know how to feel, she knew she still loved her dad but he had hurt her too, he left her all alone in the world, he did leave a lot of money and maids to take care of her but still, he left her, and now he was going to die.

"Do you want to go do something to get your mind off it?"

Eli, this new kid that she found kinda cute asked, he couldn't seem to get the memo to just leave her alone, but she would welcome a distraction from her dreary thoughts right now.

"Sure, I can get you off while I'm at it too." Eli felt the heat rush to his cheeks and ignored her, she smiled faintly enjoying his innocent reaction.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"The forest."

"There's a forest nearby here?"

"Yea, just a little ways past town."

The forest was where Akira spent most of her time, being a Necromancer, there was no greater bliss than being intuned with nature, it would definitely distract her for a couple hours.

"Then let's head over there now, are you guys coming?" Eli cocked his head back looking at his friends, seeing them smile faintly, Elana nodded her head and they all made their way to the forest.

***

The forest was marvelous, the trees were tall, basically racing to see who could touch the sky first, there were so many colours of plants, trees and animals. The illuminating whisps dancing around the flora, making the forest seem so much more entrancing. A pheonix perched on one of the branches and combusted into a 7 coloured flame, being reborn.

Eli's eyes were almost out of there socket as he looks around, grinning, appreciating the beauty of the forest. Javier stared at him admiring more of his beauty than that of the forest while the twins went off to follow a small kitsune fox spirit, well, Elana did and Ethan followed.

Akira was touching the flora, almost as if she were talking to them and caressing them providing a very odd sight to Eli who didn't think the girl could be that gentle.

"Can I go deeper into the forest?" Eli asked the two, who just look at the boy as if he's grown a third head.

"You want to go deeper in a magical forest,
with magical creatures, most capable of killing us all?" Akira asked cocking a brow.

"When you put it that way it sounds stupid, but I just feel like I should be going a bit deeper, please." Akira sighed, clearly not wanting to but said yes and the two made their way a little deeper following behind Eli, leaving the twins (Elana) playing with the snow white kitsune.

Eli walked feeling as if something was calling out to his very soul. Javier and Akira glanced at each other, definitely noting his behavior as weird, he was definitely searching for something.

They walked about five minutes and then pulled up short when they see a huge rock blocking the path they were headed down. Javier and Akira went to walk around it, but Eli continued to walk towards it, feeling the tugging sensation on his soul tightening.

"This is it."

"You were looking for a fucking rock?"

"It's a pretty good looking rock, I must say."

Akira and Javier smirked at each other, both enjoying teasing Eli.

"Shut up."

He stretched his hand out and touched the rock. It started to glow a pure gold and began shrinking.

"I think the rock liked your compliment."

Eli, oddly calm, put both hands on the rock, almost cradling it and it shrank into his palms, a smooth gold egg laid in his arms. He turned around and Javier and Akira gasped when they see what he's holding.