Familiar (Unfriendly) Faces

His Home

Finn was wide awake... he was finding it difficult to fall asleep and it had nothing to do with Sadie's vegan pasta from dinner.

The clock on the wall was ticking, it seemed to be louder than usual counting down the seconds until Millie's alarm would ring and she would have to leave him and catch a flight to London.

Granted it was only two weeks, but what about next time? Would it be permanent by that point? How long until he never got to see her again?

Finn looked at the girl he loved sound asleep on his chest, the girl he loved. Admitting it to himself earlier had been like a weight lifted off his shoulders, yet a new one replaced the old one.

The thought of losing her was horrible before, but now Finn couldn't think of anything scarier in life than losing the one person you loved forever.

As if things couldn't get any worse he would lose Millie and she would be forced into a life she didn't want to live, to be with a person who didn't care about her, he wouldn't protect her, or comfort her when she needed it.

Finn had heard enough the night Millie was honest with him about her life. There was no way Jacob would treat her the way she deserved and that truth made his skin crawl with a sort of newfound anger and hatred towards the piece of shit. Without noticing his own hold around Millie tightened protectively the more he thought about everything that was coming for her.

Finn was so deep in his thoughts that when Millie's alarm sounded from her phone he jumped a bit. She woke up almost instantly to turn it off.

Finn didn't bother pretending to be asleep, she probably felt him move a few seconds ago anyway. Her tired eyes met his in the dark room and he felt a hand move a few curls away from his eyes and then rest on his cheek.

He leaned into her touch, Millie's touch was like some sort of calming spell.

"Have you been awake for awhile, you don't look like you slept much."

He didn't feel like it was any use trying to lie so he just answered simply.

"Couldn't sleep."

Even in the dark he saw her frown.

"Finnie..."

And there it was too, that goddamned nickname she usually called him when drunk, but every so often she would use it when she was sober and he loved it.

It might be cheesy or even embarrassing if she ever used it in front of their friends, but Finn had grown to love hearing it fall from her lips, but only her. If anyone else called him that, he knew he would easily become annoyed.

"What if I just don't let you go?" She had tried to hide it, but he heard Millie's small gasp. He couldn't really blame her for her surprise. Finn was shocked himself at how fragile his voice sounded just now.

He stiffened, Millie felt it.

Despite all their teasing earlier about her leaving Millie knew this time wasn't playful. Finn was really hurting now, and it was her fault.