ᴡᴏʀᴅs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴇᴀsʏ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ

Mai wasn't sure how much longer she could take it. The questions- they rolled around in her mind endlessly. Flipping and spinning like fairies were having a dance in her head. Their feet were like the questions, tapping gently to the beat of a song Mai didn't know.

She wished the fairies would rest.

Her family's computer chimed on the desk in front of her.

Hear ye, hear ye — the Queen is here.
Where are my loyal subjects?
Art thou there?

Sir Silence here, milady. At your service —

Mai watched as QUEENOFAIRANDDARKNESS types. Mai knew just as much as Josh did, but "The Queen" gave her a bad vibe. She seemed so nice and honest — but you couldn't deny the air around the computer whenever she typed changed. And you had to admit, the role playing was a little weird.

Did you see?! Massacre at the mall last
night —
Killer wearing a Skull Mask!

Yep — saw on the news — another Shadysider "gone nuts."

Another killing? Mai hadn't heard of this. She thought back to Josh's Wall of Killers. This had happened too many times to be a coincidence. But would a hundred year old "witch" really be capable of this? Mai was sure there was an explanation — she just hadn't found it yet.

Just like the Milkman in '53...

Just like Ruby Lane in '65...

And the '78 Camp Nightwing massacre...

Your highness —

Mai couldn't help but scoff. Making people refer to her as "your highness?" Mai didn't know how Josh could overlook these red flags. Was he in love with her? Probably. Josh fell to fast for his own good.

You know what this is, right?

Art thou saying what the Queen thinks you're saying?

Yes.
It's her.
The witch came back for revenge again —
Sarah Fier possessed another Shadysider.

The icon in the corner flashed. Josh was typing still. Suddenly, he stopped mid-sentence, and Mai could imagine Deena taking the keyboard away from him. Telling him that he was addicted to the chats. She was right, a little. But "the queen" was worse.

Putting the thoughts of the tragedy behind her — Mai set off for another riveting day at school.

———

"See you later, Sir Silence." Deena ruffled her brothers hair before catching Mai out of the corner of her eye.

"Hey Mai." She smiled sweetly, and Mai smiled back. Deena had always been like an older sister to her. With both having absent parents, Deena liked having another girl around. And Mai absolutely loved having an older sister.

Mai stood next to Josh and bumped shoulders with him.

Mai loved Deena for many reasons, but she particularly loved her relationship with Sam. It gave such hope for Mai. Two girls could love each other. It was a light in the dark, a way out. Their relationship is hope.

Well — was hope. Sam's move to Sunnyvale had broke their relationship, leaving Mai without hope, yet again.

"C'mon Josh, I don't wanna be late."

"I wish you safe passage on your travels, Sir Silence." Her hand raised in a mock salute, she smirked before turning and walking away. Josh looked furious and mumbled something Mai didn't pick up.

Mai let out an exaggerated sigh.
"Well, let's get a move on, Sir Silence." She started walking away quickly to escape Josh's wrath.

"Mai! I'm gonna kill you!"

Mai looked over her shoulder and laughed.

And of course, because the universe just loves her, she slammed into someone. The other person managed to catch both themself and Mai, but didn't save Mai from the embarrassment.

She turned to the unknown person, their hands gripping Mai's forearms.

"Kate!" Mai sighed, relieved that it wasn't a random stranger.

"Mai!" Kate said back, head titled to the side. "Lovely running into you this morning."

"Yeah, sorry about that." Mai smiled sheepishly. She wouldn't admit it to anyone, but Kate was very pretty. Mai certainly wouldn't mind leaning forward — and of course she wouldn't mind their lips touching —

"Mai!" Josh said as he finally got through the crowd of angsty high schoolers to where they were. Kate's hands released their grip on Mai's forearms. And, of course, she wouldn't ever admit it to anyone — but she missed Kate's touch.

"Oh, hey Kate." Josh smiled, cheeks flushed.

Mai unfortunately knew about Josh's crush on Kate. He talked about her non-stop. Kate-this, Kate-that. And Mai was very happy for him — but there was this very deeply buried part of her that wanted to be the one talking about Kate non-stop.

"See you at the game tonight?" Kate asked, head leaning downwards to meet Mai's gaze.

"Oh, yeah! See you there," Mai quickly grabbed Josh's hand and walked away, not daring to look back.

Josh looked at her, his mouth clamped shut trying not to laugh.

Mai have him a look before motioning with her hands.

"Go on. Laugh at my embarrassment. Please, go on." At the conformation, Josh doubled over laughing, stopping just before the door of the computer lab. Mai smiled at her best friend. Even as annoying as he was, she still loved him.

———

Mai,

You bumped into me in the hall today. I saw you coming seconds before you collided with me. I easily could have moved — but I didn't. Even just a few seconds with you is worth the indent on my arm from you slamming into my binder. Are you alright? I hope you are. At least I'll get to see you at the game-vigil thing tonight. I want to slip this into your locker. I want to tell you that I lo-

Kate folds up the paper, and throws it into the trash.

Oh, the words she wished she wrote.

———