ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ sᴛᴀʏ ᴀᴡᴀʏ

Mai fucked up.

She had basically confessed her love to Kate, and she wasn't even sure if she was into girls! Though, Kate did make her feel like no boy ever could. And Mai had never been boy-crazy...

No. Perhaps she just hadn't found the right person yet? That was fucking stupid. She had. She found the right person. She found Kate.

She just wasn't sure.

Kate was sure. Kate knew what she wanted, and she set her eye on it. And Kate wanted Mai. And she was gonna try her goddamn best to get her.

———

"Hey," Kate came up to Mai. "Can we talk?" Mai's breath hitched. She wanted to talk to Kate. But she also didn't want to face what she was feeling. The confusion. She wanted to ignore it.

"Uh... Maybe when we get out of here?"

"Yeah. No, yeah. That's- Thats fine."

Mai smiled gratefully at her before turning back around. She could feel the heat that has rose on her cheeks, and she looked the other way to try and hide it from Kate. They walked into the small hospital, and Killing Me Softly with His Song played on the speakers above them. They walked over to the front desk. After standing for a few seconds, and not being noticed, Deena rung the bell.

The woman didn't even look up, which Mai thought was rude, but it was quiet and there weren't many people around, a boring night. She stopped filing her nails to put a clipboard on the table, telling them to fill it out and take a seat.

"No, I'm just visiting."

"Visiting hours end at nine,"

Kate seemed to have gotten bored of this quickly, and she cleared her throat before walking up to the desk.

"Tell Nurse Beddy she has a patient."

Finally, the woman looked up, giving them a pointed look.

A few moments later, a nurse in pink scrubs came around the corridor. His name tag read "Eddy" but a "B" was drawn on before to make Beddy.

"Beddy," Kate started, "Long time, how you been?" His gaze flickered towards Simon.

"See you're still toting around with the moron."

"She can't quit me, Beddy!" Simon exclaimed, "I'm- I'm too pretty!" Beddy scoffs before Kate grabs his attention again.

"Listen, we need your assistance,"

"I'm sure that you do, but there happens to be a new security protocol. We kept coming up short on blueberries and bananas. So now I need a special key —"

"I need to see a patient." Deena butt in, standing close and personal right up to Nurse Beddy.

"Mai, you should go with her," Josh said. "They're gonna end up screaming at each other, maybe you can try and keep the peace?"

Before Mai could answer, which would have been a yes, Kate interrupted her.

"No — I don't think that's a good idea. She should stay out here with me — I mean us."

"I'll be fine," Mai reassured. "See you after!" She said, while following Deena and Beddy down the eerily lit hall.

"Cute sweatshirt."

Sam rolled her eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you think?"

"I honestly have no clue," Sam looked done with the conversation already, and Mai couldn't blame her. They would just end up screaming at each other. And Sam looked pretty pale — she should probably be sleeping at this late hour.