ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴡᴏʀᴅs ғᴏʀ ᴜs

"Hello?"

"Mai!" It was Josh. "You- you have to get over here! You and Kate, you gotta come now!"

"W-what? Why?" Mai asked, confused on why Josh needed her and Kate so badly.

"Mai?" Kate asked, walking over to her. "What's wrong?"

"Josh needs us to come over,"

"No, they'll be fine. You still need to rest."

"Mai!" Josh's desperate voice came through the receiver again.

"What? What's happening?" Mai asked.

"Sam- Sam- she, oh my God, she- she went crazy."

"What?" Mai asked in disbelief. No. She didn't want to think about how perhaps they hadn't won. Perhaps the witch had come back again.

"Where are you?" He asked, his breathing slowly starting to calm down.

"Kate's house-"

"Where she's staying." Kate grabbed the phone from her to cut in. "She just got her hand amputated. She just got stabbed. She needs to rest. So we're staying here."

Mai grabbed the phone back, mumbling under her breath about how overprotective Kate was. Kate glared back at her.

"We'll be there just give me five minutes!" Mai said quickly, just before Kate snatched the phone away from her, again.

"No we are not!" Kate yelled into the phone. She hung the receiver on the wall.

"Kate... You see..."

"No. You just told me yourself this morning that you're still in pain."

"I was lying so you would make me breakfast! Pretty please with love letters on top?" Kate raised an eyebrow, crossing her hands over her chest.

"So, putting yourself in danger and lying to me? You're just human of the year aren't you?"

"Well I'm going."

"No!" Kate shouted, grabbing her hand and pulling Mai into her chest. "You almost died. You can't go."

Mai slowly wiggled out of her hold, placing her hands on Kate's shoulders.

"Gotta go bye!" She rushed out, turning and running over to the car. Grabbing the keys as she ran by. She was almost across the lawn, so close to her prize.

"How do you expect to drive?" Kate called from the door.

"I'll figure it out!" Mai called over her shoulder. She sat in the car, putting the keys in the ignition. She sat there, trying to figure out how to get a grip on both the steering wheel and the gears with only one hand.

She finally accepted her defeat.

She would have to call Josh back, tell him she had to rest. She exited the car, looking down.

"How was your escape plan?" Kate smirked from her spot leaning against the open door frame.

"Shut up." Mai mumbled, trying to squeeze past her, ending up in a hug instead.

"We'll call them every hour, if it makes you feel better."

Just as Mai was about to answer, someone pulled into the driveway and pressed on the horn.

"We gotta go!" Josh shouted from the passenger side window, and Mai couldn't help but grin in satisfaction.

"Bye!" She shouted, running towards the car.

She heard Kate dramatically sigh and groan before shouting after her.

"You don't even have shoes!" More groaning. "Let me grab some, at least! And I'm coming with!"

"That sounds great, honey!" Mai shouted from beside the car door.

"Honey?" Josh chuckled as she got in.

"What?" Mai asked in faux innocence. "You don't call queen-of-air-and-darkness honey too?"

"I don't like her!" Josh shouted back, turning back in his seat and folding his arms over his chest.

Mai noticed Deena's silence after that, and her grip on the steering wheel. She put her hand on the older girl's shoulder.

"It'll be okay," She told her, nothing but sincere. Deena turned and smiled back, albeit forced, Mai took it anyways.

Kate climbed into the car as well, shoes for Mai in hand.

"Thanks," Mai smiled and Kate smiled back.

"You're welcome, honey," She teased as she kissed Mai's now blushing cheek.

As soon a Kate shut the door, Deena pressed on the gas and they sped off.

Mai tried to get her shoes on, but again, with only one hand, it was pretty much impossible.

"Need help?" Kate asked, looking down at the struggling girl with a smile.

"Yes." Mai mumbled, moving around and throwing her feet into Kate's lap. She threw her shoes over too, and Kate started to slip them on and tie them.

Mai was kinda embarrassed that Kate had to help her with most things, but she thanked God all the time that she only needed her help getting dressed and putting on shoes.

"Where are we going?" Kate asked, looking up to Deena almost- nervously.

"C. Berman's house." Deena answered, eyes locked on the road. Mai looked around the head rest, she was going over 60 mph. Mai wanted to say something, but choose to say nothing. Deena looked pale and sweaty, and Mai didn't want to make her worse somehow.

Kate finished, and set Mai's feet back down on the ground. Mai moved closer to Kate, resting her hand in between them, right beside Kate's. Their pinkies touched, and Kate looked over to Mai, smiling.

Just with that one smile, Mai could feel every question, every doubt, every single fairy in her head stop dancing.

And so, they held hands in the backseat of a car currently breaking about 17 laws as the sun set behind them.

———

END OF BOOK ONE