[10 - Stranger With A Guest]

[10 - Stranger with a Guest]

You had the juice boxes organized by flavor, the cereal cabinet alphabetized, and the vegetable drawers pulled out and soaking in the sink before you could fill them with the vegetables. The door started to open, grabbing your attention. A glass of cranberry juice sat on the counter as you sipped it. You smiled and turned to look at Arkin, but was met with the eyes of Adilia DeMeo. You felt your heart jolt.

You tripped backward, almost falling. Scrambling, you reached for the knife drawer. You remembered her, and knew what Arkin had said. Arkin followed in behind her. He saw you gripping a serrated blade, and quickly rushed towards you.

“No! No, no, no, no, no, no! Are you okay, YN? Are you okay?” He grabbed the knife from you and pulled you to his chest. He dropped the blade and held your wrists. “It’s okay, it’s okay. She’s a guest right now. A guest!” You stopped struggling just slightly.

“What the fuck, Arkin!” you screamed.

“I know, I know!” He released you. Adilia stood beside the door calmly. “At least you were ready, I suppose.” You smacked his chest. “Ouch, I deserved that. Okay. Just calm down. She’s here to talk to me about something. Can you do me a favor and make some soup? Just a can of gumbo will do. We’ll be in my office.”

“They’re not your damn secretary, Arkin,” laughed Adilia in her scottish accent. “Don’t worry about it, love. Let’s just go, Arkin.” Adilia pushed Arkin into the open office and shut the door behind. You were left in the kitchen with your cranberry juice.

Adilia sat in the chair before Arkin had the chance. Instead, he made a bit of room on the desk to perch on.

“Speak, Adilia,” Arkin hissed.

“Look. We both thought Postle died when the Bruscas cut off the program. You turned them in and we hoped that would be the end of it. But it wasn’t. I don’t know, maybe a rat got out or something. But I got this letter a month ago.” She pulled an envelope from her breasts and pushed it towards Arkin. He touched it with a grimace.

“You didn’t have a fucking pocket?” he asked, opening it.

“Well sorry I don’t wear man pants, you cargo shorts wearing daddy.”

“Aye,” snarled Arkin. “Only person who can call me daddy is YN.” Adilia rolled her eyes.

“Ya fuckin’ kinkster. Hurry up.” Arkin opened the letter and read over it. While he did so, she glanced around his office. “Hey, where do you keep my little treats? They’ve gotta be in here somewhere, right?”

“Meredith is waiting?” He read outloud. “Seriously? They’re resorting to this bullshit? And no, I’m not giving you your drugs right now.”

“It came with four pumpkin seeds and a fish bone.” Arkin sighed, leaning back in his chair. “They’re coming for us, brother. You gotta get that kid of yours prepared.” Arkin looked up at her.

“For what? What are you suggesting here?” Adilia sighed defeatedly.

“For when they get us, Arkin. They’re coming. We took them down once and we failed. They’re always going to come back. They’re going to get us.” Arkin stood up, throwing the letter down.

“No, they’re not. We can kill them before they kill us.” Adilia sighed and grabbed the letter.

“Arkin, you can try to kill the Bruscas all you want. But they’ll always get us. Always.” He sat there in silence, staring into the corner of the room. Adilia groaned and stood up. “God fucking hell, Arkin. You can just wait here for Postle to come kill you. But I won’t. I’m leaving. I’m getting the hell out of dodge and never coming back. Just wait for that bastard to come and kill you and YN.” She stormed out of the room. She patted you on the back as she passed by. “Go talk to him,” she suggested in an annoyed but quiet tone. “And I’d suggest you learn how to fire a gun.” With that, Adilia DeMeo left your apartment.

You walked into the office, seeing Arkin slump back in his chair. You lightly knocked on the door, alerting him without startling him.

“Arkin?” you asked hesitantly. He looked up and put his arms out in front of him, motioning for you to come. You walked to his side, and he quickly buried his face into you once again. “Arkin, what’s wrong?” He sighed.

“YN,” he said hesitantly. “Can you do something for me?” You nodded. “Can…. Can you…. Can you play with my hair and kiss my forehead and tell me it's going to be okay?” You nodded, trying to comfort him.

“It’s going to be okay,” you said between soft pecks on his forehead. You ran your hands through his hair as he nuzzled into you more. He set a hand on your stomach and stood up, towering over you. He looked at you with pleading eyes. And suddenly, he moved and his lips were against yours. You froze as he kissed your frozen face. His arms were around you, holding you close.

You leaned into him, accepting the kiss. You had been thinking about this for forever, but swearing you weren’t.

This isn’t like puppy love, he thought to himself. He  pulled away after who knows how long of frozen intimacy. You stared into his eyes, and he stared back. It was just a moment, where two souls could connect. Through all the time you were together, in that moment, you knew you would never be without him.

You were in love with him. Fuck.

*****
944 words total.
Sorry for the short chapters.
Don't forget to vote and comment!