[17 -Stranger With No License]

[17 - Stranger with No License]

You got to the decontamination rooms. There was no sign of anyone. Over the sound of your own gas masked breathing, you heard slow, ragged footsteps.

“You bitch,” spat a woman limping towards you. The woman you had shot in the foot and stolen the gas mask of. She was tipsy, clearly having trouble walking and not just from the hole now in her foot. Suddenly, she started sprinting as much as her worn down body could handle.

You shot her right between the eyes. She fell to the floor in a pile. You took a deep shaky breath. For a group of high trained mercenaries, they sure were getting their asses handed to them by an eighteen year old.

The decontamination rooms were empty. You moved on towards the Vaccine Distribution offices.

“Well, well, well,” said Postle, pulling his gun from Arkin’s head. His blank expression was on the screen after the two heard a gunshot ring through the halls. “Quinn is dead.”

You got to the door into the VDO. Your vision was finally cleared. The door was jammed shut. You turned your shoulder and began slamming yourself against the door, trying to force it open. With your arm aching, you took a step back and aimed your gun at the lock.

The gunshot rang through the hallway as the door dropped open. Behind it stood the tall pale man you had only heard of, holding Arkin who was tied up. He held a gun to Arkin’s head. You dropped your gun to your side, still holding it tightly.

“Let him go,” you spat. Postle tilted his head at you ever so slightly.

“Why?” Arkin was getting exposed to the heavy psychedelics in the air, clearly beginning to lose touch. You aimed your gun to Postle’s head.

“Let. Him. Go. I’ll do whatever you want. Just let Arkin go.” Postle stared at you through the shield of his gas mask.

“I will release Arkin, if you take his place and work for me.”

“No…” whimpered Arkin, who was very clearly higher than a kite. Postle paid him no mind. He was focused on you.

“So?” he said, asking for your response. Your eyes were on Arkin.

“Fine,” you spat venomously. You dropped your gun to the floor. “I’ll join you.”

“Splendid,” Postle said, throwing Arkin to the ground. His head hit the hard floor with a smack. “Let us drive back to the hotel we are staying in. I will send someone for Mr. Demeo in a while.”

Poste put his hand on your back, guiding you out of the ADCC. You glanced back at Arkin, who was writhing on the floor. You bit your inner cheek. Postle guided you to the car.

“I ask that you drive,” Postle said. “Being that you have killed my sister.” He put his hand on your chin, tilting your head up. “Be good, and Arkin will live. Understood?” You nodded as he pulled off his gas mask. You left yours on and got into the driver’s side door of the green BMW. Adilia’s car was long gone.

“Yes, sir,” you said obediently. Postle glanced at you emotionlessly. “Where to?” you asked, buckling in. Postle didn’t buckle himself in, just like Arkin. You assumed it was from a habit of having to get out of cars fast.

“To the Royal Vale. Our associates await.” You nodded and pressed the button to start the car. You took a deep breath, knowing that this plan was fucked and probably not going to work.

You pressed your foot on the gas, slowly accelerating. Postle noticed nothing. You took a deep breath, and quickly slammed the pedal down. The car went from 4 to 45 miles in only a few seconds. Postle yelped in surprise, then you slammed your foot on the brake, making the tall man slam his head down onto the dashboard. Your head hit the steering wheel, and your arm was broken with a sickening crack.

You had only a few seconds to grab the dagger still in the holster on your ankle and stab him. It happened too fast.

You sat in the car, now stopped in its place. Your dagger was buried in the back of Postle’s neck. His spinal cord was severed, leaving him dead in the spot. You pulled off the now cracked gas mask, taking shaky breaths. Your anxiety was on an all time high. With shaking hands, you undid your seatbelt, pulled the bloody knife from Postle’s neck, and stumbled from the car.

You grabbed the undamaged gas mask in Postle’s limp grip and ran back into the building. Before you even got to the vaccine distribution office, you felt the psychedelics already setting back in. The door was still broken open. Arkin laid on the floor, passed out.

You pulled the gas mask over his face, trying to make sure he would breathe okay. You took the bloodied knife and cut the ropes to free him. Postle’s blood covered the knife, your hands, and his hands. With the last bit of your strength, you tried to pull Arkin to stand. Together, you limped out of the ADCC and into the fresh air. You collapsed on the sidewalk almost instantly.

“YN! YN, wake up,” groaned Arkin, slowly getting out of his stupor. He pulled off the gas mask and tossed it to the side, seeing the running car and Postle’s slumped over dead body. “YN, we have to leave…. YN?”

You didn’t react. You didn’t move.

“......YN?”

*****
924 words total.
Don't forget to vote and comment!