Sloth Motor Vehicle Division

The Department of Mammal Vehicles, located in a more rural part of town, was not too rich nor was it too poor. It was pretty modest with a light brown roof resembling zebra stripes. The police logo was attached to the right side while the left side had the letters "DMV" in white above the automatic doors. Judy and Nick parked the car alongside a saffron yellow Scion while Sora, Donald and Goofy leapt from the Glider and headed to the door where inside, two long lines of mammals waited patiently (or impatiently) for their turn. Five streamlined windows with posters and cabinets of archives behind them were chockablock with documents, prepared licenses, film rolls for photograph identification and information regarding license plates and the cars they were assigned to. When Judy first laid eyes on the employers of the establishment, her shock was even greater than the members of Mystic Springs.

"They're all sloths?!"

Now sloths were sluggish because of their extremely low metabolism rate. They traveled at forty-one yards per day and regularly slept for fifteen hours. They were strong swimmers and drove fast, but not on foot, which made them the perfect example for a major unemployed species, and those who worked at the DMV were lucky to have patient employers who could tolerate their time and speed. They could move faster if they were in immediate danger from a predator, but would have to burn large amounts of energy for doing so. For nightly meals, they had fruit and shoots with water from juicy plants at the grocery store.

Their customers however, did the best they could to tolerate their time. One male sloth in a powder blue shirt with a greenish teal striped necktie slowly stamped a final paper to a cheetah in a peach orange shirt, pressing it hard before moving on to the next, much the cheetah's impatience. A female with purple glasses, a green-grey sweater and a white and blue striped dress held an aquamarine stapler in her right hand, using it to staple three documents for an armadillo, meant to pay for her car. A female pig named Pamela with a wave of flaxen hair and a blue dress with red collars and fourteen stars on each sleeve had just turned sweet sixteen and was getting her driver's license, making sure her photograph was prim and perfect. Another male in a periwinkle purple shirt with a matching necktie of darker purple stripes held the button and when it looked as though something was wrong with the red button in his right hand, Pamela looked over to see the button actually being pressed down with a flash of the camera going off, catching her in an expression of surprise. When asked if she could try again, the sloth agreed and this time Pamela kept her patience in check without glancing over to cause another problem with her final photo. Every bit of activity, as it seemed, was a living example of life in slow motion.

"You said this was going to be quick!"

Nick could see that Judy was upset, but Sora remained mindful of the duo's conversation, deciding to keep himself, Goofy and Donald quiet until they reached the window. The fox was giving the bunny a sarcastic tone of sick sweetness.

"Are you saying that because he's a sloth he can't be fast? I thought in Zootopia anyone could be anything."

At last they came to the window in the middle, occupied by a male sloth in a celadon green shirt with an orange and black striped necktie and grey trousers. Nick rested his left elbow on the desk, while Judy placed both hands on it like a child waiting for a toy or candy. The other three stood behind them as Nick greeting the ever well-known, orange-eyed Flash Slothmore. True to his name, he was indeed the fastest (but not that fast) of all the other sloths who worked in the DMV. He looked tired but helpful despite his slow speed and metabolism that made him look like a drank a hundred gallons of alcohol.

"Flash, Flash, a hundred-yard dash! Buddy it's nice to see ya!"

As though he were introducing the English language to a foreigner, Flash enunciated his words slowly and carefully with a break in-between.