Chapter 6

Later in the morning, the storm broke long enough for Fern to make her way back to the crash site, searching for anything aside from the debris that could be upsetting the Thunderbird. "I can't feel anything using the magnetic fields in the ground, so what is pissing off that bird so much," Fern grabbed at her hair in frustration kicking at a piece of the jet.

"I wondered if I'd find you here," Fern turned to find Steve standing a few feet away from here, Bucky at his side.

"The storm is only going to break for so long; I have to try and find something, as well as clean this mess up," Fern sighed, lifting a piece of the jet into the wagon. "I know there's something else going on to upset the Thunderbird aside from the jet."

"Thunderbird? Is that what you were muttering about last night?" Bucky asked, helping her to load parts into the wagon.

"Yeah, a giant bird that makes storms and is very territorial," Fern shook her head, hearing thunder crack above. "We have run out of time. This can be finished later." Fern grabbed Steve and Bucky beginning to pull them back to the house.

"Is it really going to be that upset we're out here?" Steve asked, nearly tripping over a tree root as Fern pulled them along behind her. She was surprisingly fast.

"I don't question it anymore after being struck by its lightning the first time." Fern pulled them along faster as the rain started. "We aren't going to make it."

"Sure we are," Bucky smirked, picking Fern up bridal style and running along with Steve. Fern shook her head, knowing she shouldn't underestimate a pair of super-soldiers. Lightning started to hit the ground and trees around them as they ran; they made it out of the tree line and to the house when a bolt of lightning struck so close that Bucky felt the heat from it.

"I understand what you meant," Bucky huffed, setting Fern back on her feet inside of the house.

"Warm," Fern chuckled, looking Bucky over, making sure he didn't get hit. That metal arm of his worried her. "It's strangely warm." Bucky nodded at her comment glancing at Steve. She couldn't read the expression on his face, but Steve looked happy, oddly happy.

"How is everyone this morning?" Fern moved into a small powder room, removing three towels handing them one to each of them. They both smiled, beginning to dry their hair; it would help until they changed and had showers.

"Better, Wanda woke up; Bruce found his way to the lab when he woke up. Thor's the only one who hasn't." Steve sighed, looking down the hall.

"Thor," Fern paused, biting the inside of her cheek. "Thor, that's it." Her eyes grew wide, mentally smacking herself for not realizing it before now.

"What about Thor?" Tony walked into the kitchen where the trio stood, Bruce and Natasha not far behind him.

"The Thunderbird, Thor, they use most of the same powers; he's what's upsetting it so much. Hammer boy needs to wake up and show the Thunderbird he isn't a threat, or this storm will continue to get worse," Fern took a deep breath. "We have to wake him; there's no waiting."

"I think there's plenty of waiting. I feel that you need to explain to us more about the Thunderbird and your connection. You can talk to animals; why can't you talk to the Thunderbird and calm it down?" Tony stopped Fern from walking down the hall to Thor's room, Wanda and Sam joining the group.

"What do you want to know?" Fern rolled her eyes.

"Everything. Why the Thunderbird is here, exactly how you got your powers, everything." Tony pushed.

"Thunderbirds, a legend to many, many different cultures have depictions of it. Some say they live in desserts to help bring the rain when needed and so that they can unleash their lightning without damaging anything. They live wherever the hell they want; this one, in particular, has lived here for around twenty or so years." Fern flinched as thunder boomed, and a bolt of lightning zapped the ground close to the house. "There was a fire that covered nearly the entire mountain and parts of the surrounding valley. Seeing as our government likes money, there's a law that a wildfire has to grow to a specific size before forces are called in to put it out unless people are in danger. Or, you know, no one gets paid.