Chapter 18

"Again, don't hold back," Bucky grunted, shaking his head. Fern took a couple of deep breaths wiping the sweat away from her eyes, watching him. They started training at six this morning, and it was nearly ten. Bucky started them out easy, only hitting the punching bag and a slight jog to the lake and back. Then he wanted to see how much of the fight training Fern remembered; well, they've been fighting for nearly two hours, and Fern was ready to fall face-first onto the mats.

"You're only going to stop me again; it's been hours Bucky." Fern breathed out, retaking her stance. Bucky didn't reply as he ran at her; Fern ducked under his punch and slammed her fist into his side as she maneuvered her way around behind him. Fern went to kick at the back of Bucky's knee as he pivoted to grab her foot, flipping Fern onto her back. Bucky jumped on top of her as she went to get back to her feet, swinging at him with her right hand; he caught her fist and pinned it above her head; he held the rest of her body in place. Fern rolled her eyes out of breath as she tapped on his wrist for him to release her.

"We can stop now," Bucky chuckled, sitting back on the mat next to her.

"Oh, can we now?" Fern sat up, looking at him wide-eyed, "Are you sure you don't want to throw me around some more? Pin me into the mat a few more times?" Fern could feel the annoyance and sarcasm dripping out of her mouth.

"I mean, if you'd like me to pin you to the mat another way, I'd be glad too," Bucky smirked, leaning closer to Fern. "I'm sure I could teach you plenty of other things than just how to fight." He whispered into her ear, and Fern stood far too fast, giving herself a head rush.

"I'm going to shower before the jet gets here. You should do the same." Fern jogged out of the gym and into her room, closing the door and locking it as she heard footsteps behind her. Fern pulled the hair tie out of her braid and ran her fingers through it as she started the water for the shower. Fern pulled her clothes off and looked at herself in the mirror; there were a few places that were going to bruise, thankfully none that would be seen.

Fern took a far longer shower than she needed, sighing as she walked into her closet to find clothing that she could lounge around in. She was not going to be doing any more physical movement aside from walking and eating today. Fern picked a pair of sweats and a comfy long-sleeved shirt, feeling that it would be fitting. As she dressed and brushed out her hair, Fern heard Tony shout that the jet was landing.

Fern looked at Ryker, who happily slept on the bed, seeing if he would join her; he wasn't moving for anything; she looked at Elder and Buzz, and neither seemed interested either. Fern shook her head with a laugh; they still weren't used to everyone else; Bucky was the only one they seemed to take a slight liking to. Fern walked out of her room as the jet landed and the back opened up. Tony and Bucky stood waiting to greet everyone; Fern stood back by the house door for a minute, looking to the mountain. She watched gold flash around the peak and knew the Thunderbird was watching.

"So, what is more interesting than me coming for a visit?" Clint questioned from next to her trying to follow her gaze.

"Just about anything if you want me to be honest. I've had you around most of my life, but Nat and Wanda, a week," Fern smirked at Clint, skipping over to Nat and Wanda with open arms. They all let out a slight squeal together as they hugged.

"You did not just shade Clint for us, did you?" Natasha asked, trying to hold back her laugh.

"Maybe a little bit," Fern bit her lip looking at Wanda only to end up breaking out laughing.

"What are we, chopped liver?" Fern looked over at Steve and Sam, who were carrying boxes off of the jet. She ran over to Steve, jumping into his arms in a hug. "That's what I thought." He laughed, setting her down; she caught Bucky out of the corner of her eyes; he didn't look happy. Fern shook her head as she walked into Sam's outstretched arms, hugging him as well before she turned to Peter, who stood awkwardly next to Tony.

"Come on, don't stand there like a scared little kid," Fern laughed, grabbing Peter in a hug. "I swear, I'm not that scary, and you know it. The scariest thing here is Bucky, and we all know it." She smiled at Bucky over Peter's shoulder; he shook his head, a small smile ghosted his lips.

"You just know everyone better; it's my first time here. I didn't get to explore last time," Peter shrugged.

"Don't worry, kid, you'll have fun," Tony laughed, clapping his hand onto Peter's shoulder, "You still have to learn the secret."

"That's all of it. Is there anything else we need to do before we leave?" Steve asked, moving one last box out of the jet.

"Say your goodbyes; we don't want a pissed-off bird." Tony smiled at Fern as he turned to her. "Take care of the kid, okay? He's a handful." Tony hugged her before walking onto the jet.

Fern waved to Steve and Sam; she turned to say goodbye to Bucky when she didn't find him; Fern knew he wasn't on the jet. She walked into the house, quickly finding Bucky in her room sitting on the bed with Ryker. "Couldn't leave without saying bye to your best friend, huh?" Fern asked, leaning against the door frame. Bucky glanced up at her; she could see that he was upset. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to leave," Bucky weakly chuckled.

Fern sighed, walking over and sitting next to him. "It's only for a little while, and by the time we see each other again, it's going to be at the compound. After that, I'll get to see your world." She grabbed Bucky's hands, watching as he tried to pull his metal hand away from her. "You know this is a see you later, right? Not a goodbye."

"I know, I just don't want to–" Bucky stopped himself looking down at their hands. "It's hard leaving after I've just found you. I don't want to backtrack somehow, and this all be for nothing."

"You go, do your mission, and when you see me again, I'll be ready to jump into your arms and never want you to let me go," Fern whispered, moving her left hand up to touch his cheek. Fern smiled, looking into Bucky's blue eyes, and started to feel like she was drowning in them once again. "I can't wait to drown in your eyes again. So, get out of here, so I don't have to wait."

Bucky chuckled, pressing a kiss to her cheek as he stood. He let their hands stay together as long as possible as he walked to the door. "It'll be like I was never gone." Bucky winked before leaving her sitting there.

Ryker whined, resting his head on her lap, "You could go with him, you know. I know how much you two have bonded." Ryker looked up at Fern for a second, his eyes twitching at her words. "Run, or they're going to leave without you." Ryker licked her face running out of the room and through the house. Fern walked out to the kitchen watching through the window as he jumped into the jet as the door was closing. Bucky glanced up through the window, and she smiled, shaking her head. They were both leaving her, but they needed each other.