Chapter 17

"You're right. It is nice here," Bucky smiled, leaning back on his elbows as the sun shone brightly down on him. Fern laughed from next to him, laying on her stomach with a book in front of her. "You know, I didn't take you for much of a book nerd."

"Then I guess you haven't found the library at the house yet," Fern replied, closing her book after placing the dried flower bookmark back in it. "There's plenty you still don't know about me."

"I guess there is," Bucky smiled. Fern looked at him, watching Buzz raced past Bucky's head, stopping long enough to peck his ear before hiding in Fern's hair. "I'm going to kill that bird; I'm serious." Bucky glared, rubbing at his ear.

"He only does it because he thinks you're taking all of my attention. I'm all he's ever known, so he doesn't like the thought of him not getting my attention," Fern rolled her eyes as Buzz chirped in her ear. "He says the Thunderbird will be sure to let the jet in tomorrow."

"That's good; I don't think Tony would be happy about yet another jet being shot down," Bucky chuckled. "Well, the little bird is going to have to share you; he can share with Elder; why am I any different?"

"Because you're human, and Elder doesn't give a crap. The fear you have of losing me, the animals have it as well." Fern held her finger out for Buzz to sit on and rested him on Bucky's shoulder. "I'm going for a swim; you two make friends." Fern left the odd pair sitting on the bank, and she slowly walked into the water before diving below the surface.

"I don't like you, but for her, I'll live with you," Bucky said, turning his head to look at the hummingbird sitting on his shoulder. Buzz chirped, pecking Bucky's chin lightly, and fluffed his feather, getting comfy. "I'll take that as a truce."

Bucky sat on the bank, watching Fern swim in the lake and play with some aquatic animals. He smiled, watching her splash at the baby Beavers. "She's right; it is nice here." Bucky nearly jumped to his feet, ready to attack who had walked up behind him before noticing Ryker was now next to him, and Tony was sitting down.

"Has anyone ever told you not to walk up behind an assassin and not make your presence known long before," Bucky glared at Tony for a moment, petting Ryker on the head. "I figured you'd still be in the lab until we leave tomorrow."

"The kid was right; I need time outside of it once in a while. Ryker was kind enough to show me the way." Tony sighed happily, leaning back to take in the sun. "There's an event two days after your mission ends. You should invite her to come; Natasha and Wanda can take her shopping for a dress when they fly back."

"I think it's a little too soon for her to leave. I don't know if she'll be comfortable in our world yet," Bucky watched the lake Fern still playing with the animals. "It's amazing to watch her interact with the animals in their world. She truly does belong here."

"All you can do is ask Barnes what happened to the ladies' man that took women dancing every weekend that Steve told us all about. So now you've got a girl, take her dancing," Tony picked a flower from the ground next to him and twirled it in his fingers. "I waited a long time to make my life with Pepper, and sometimes I regret doing that. But, I don't think you should wait any longer than you have to. I tell Steve this all of the time; you did your waiting in the ice, you can't keep waiting."

Bucky went to reply when Fern swam over and smiled, climbing out of the water. "Tony, you decided to join us after all." Bucky bit his lips, looking Fern over as he grabbed the towel next to him, throwing it at her. He didn't have a reason to be jealous, but that girl was for his eyes only, and he was going to keep it that way.

"I thought maybe some fresh air and a little bird watching would help me with ideas for your suit. I think I'll add a water feature to it, so that way, if you end up in the water, you won't have to worry. Not that I think you'll need it." Tony chuckled as Fern sat down next to Bucky, hitting his arm as she did so. Bucky raised his brow to her, and she rolled her eyes in response.

"Being able to breathe underwater would be good. Also, I can talk to fish, so that would help if I could stay under longer." Fern noted.

"I'll make sure to add it then." Tony nodded, watching the pair next to him push at each other and talk with their eyes. "So, Fern, there's an event happening at the compound soon. Bucky's mission will be over by then, and I thought that maybe you'd like to come; Natasha and Wanda could take you shopping. Spend a day or two in our world; what do you think?" Bucky turned his head to Tony, glaring at him. One second he's encouraged Bucky to ask her, and the next, he brings it up like everyday conversation. Well, Bucky wasn't too upset about it; he might not have gotten the courage to ask her before he leaves tomorrow.

"I would love to. Of course, I'll have to make sure the Thunderbird is comfortable with me leaving for a few days, but it sounds like fun." Fern grinned; she grabbed Bucky's arm excitedly. "Maybe you can show me around one day, take me to your favorite places."

"I'd love to," Bucky smiled. But, of course, he would never say it to his face but thank you, Tony Stark.