Chapter 22

So I got an update up sooner than I thought!! I hope this makes your week a little better. The whole school thing still stands and it will be getting a little hectic for me but as you can see, I still make time to write and upload chapters. It just not be as quick. Thanks to those who commented and voted on the last chapter. Let see if we can beat it! :)

******************************************************************

Travis’ POV (Nia’s dad)

            I stared at the men in front of me. My brain couldn’t catch up to what was being told to me. The things registering for me were the crestfallen look on Jaxson’s face and the sobbing coming from the corner of the room where Grant’s parents leaned on each other for support.

            It had only been a couple days since Grant’s disappearance and now he’s body shows up dumped on the edge of our borders, a single gunshot wound in his chest. From the descriptions the men on patrol were giving me, he was bruised and beaten pretty badly before he was killed. I hadn’t gotten the nerve to go see the body. The shifters that found him brought the body back to the back to house and he was currently in the pack doctor’s care in the basement.

            “Was there anything else left behind with his body?” I asked, clearing my throat from trying to close up. At my words, Grant’s mother cried louder. I looked once at Bram before he escorted them out of the room. The rest of the men left besides the leader of the patrol and Jaxson.

            “There was a note attached to his shirt. I thought better than to read since it is probably meant for you,” he replied, handing me the clean white paper. I nodded my head and dismissed him.

            Jaxson wasn’t paying attention to anything going on around him. He was seated in a chair next to my desk with his head in his hands. I could tell he was crying from the shaking in his shoulders. I couldn’t imagine how he was feeling. Grant had been his best friend and the future beta of the pack. Grant had always been around the family ever since he was little. I practically treated him like a son. Nia and Jaxson had loved him like a brother.

            The sound of the door opening brought me from my thoughts. I turned my head slightly to see Bram entering the room, his face worn and full of emotion but he was trying to remain strong.

            I walked around the edge of my desk and dropped down into my chair. I focused on the note in my hand. After a collective breath, I sliced it open. It was short, just like the others. Next time it will be your daughter, it read. My hand formed a fist, crinkling the paper before letting it fall to the desk. Jaxson and Bram didn’t ask what it said.

            “What are we going to do Alpha? They’ve killed another of our wolves and we are no closer to knowing exactly where they are. The pack is starting to get scared,” Bram said taking a stance in front of my desk.