Chapter 3

Ok so....no comments, not many views, but one comment. It's sort of an improvement I guess. Because no one is saying anything, I don't know how I'm doing. Should I continue?

Vote and Comment!!!

***********************************************************************************************************

          I stood in the doorway and stared at my brother lying on his bed. He had been asleep for the past thirty minutes. He had been trying to get comfortable since the guys brought him up here a few hours ago. I could see the white bandages that were wrapped around his leg peeking out from under the blanket. I pulled the door and cracked it before walking down the hallway.

            The rest of the guys had left and I knew that my dad would be in his office. That’s where he always went after any type of encounter with the hunters. I stopped by the bathroom and got a wet rag. Knowing him, he hadn’t cleaned up himself.

            Walking into his office, I found him sitting in his chair leaning with his head in his hands. The room was a mess. The maps and papers were strewn out on the floor. Several books were off the shelves and haplessly laying around the room. I stepped over things until I knelt in front of him.

I touched his arm lightly and he lifted his eyes to look at me. His eyes were red around their rims letting me know that he had been crying. He always took it hard when anyone in the pack got hurt by hunters or other packs but tonight it had been his own son. I’m sure he was taking it pretty hard. The mess of an office was evidence enough of that.

I took each of his hands, one at a time, and cleaned off the dried blood that had accumulated on them since carrying my brother. He didn’t need the reminder that one of children had been injured.

“I’m sorry that I had you leave. I know you wanted to be there for your brother and me,” he said lowly. I didn’t look up from his hands as I cleaned.

“It’s ok dad. You were probably right to have me not be in the room. His screams were enough. Seeing him in that pain might have been too much,” I replied. And it was true. As much of a fight I had put up with Grant to get back in the room, I don’t know how I would have handled seeing it all unfold. To Grant’s credit, he stayed with me letting me cry until he had to help take my brother to his room.

“What happened out there dad?” I asked finally bringing my eyes up to look at him. He let out a sigh and turned his head to look out the window next to him. The night had grown darker in the wee hours of the morning. I doubt either of us would get much sleep tonight anyway.

“Everything had been going fine. We had gotten the hunters turned around and heading away from the pack. We sent up howls so they knew the direction to come. None of us were supposed to be seen,” he explained. I placed the now dirty rag on the floor beside me and sat down. I kept silent, wanting him to continue when he was ready.