Chapter 13

I said my goodbyes to the people in the studio. I tried to phone Wanda in my car and again when I got home.

After the third try, I gave up. AJ suggested I call our family P.I, but this time it didn't feel right.

.........

I cleared my throat and knocked on Miss.Wandas office door.

"Who is it"  Miss.Wanda said.

"Layla" I said.

"Come in " Miss.Wanda said.

"Rasheeda" I said  surprised.

"Good morning" Rasheeda said.

"I was just telling Rasheeda we will be moving forward with her application" Miss.Wanda said.

"Oh you are" I thought. "Well Rasheeda, I look forward to working with you, if you guys are done, I would like to speak with Miss.Wanda."

"Of course" Rasheeda said. "Thankyou again Miss.Wanda."

"Of course dear " Miss.Wanda said.

I smiled at Rasheeda. As soon as the door shut behind me I scowled at Wanda.

"Coffee" Miss.Wanda said taking a sip.

"You hired Rasheeda" I growled.

"Of course, with her credentials I had to before someone else scooped her up."

"Hogwash, this is not about Rasheeda its about you not wanting to hire Balcome Prescott" I said.

"Rasheeda is talented, but she does not compare to Balcome and you know it" I said.

"What's done is done Layla" Miss.Wanda said casually.

"No,  Wanda you don't get to do that, I'm your partner" I said.

"Layla" Miss.Wanda said sternly. "Just let it go."

"Wanda what's going on " I asked calmly. "You know you can talk to me."

Miss.Wanda expression relaxed and gestured for me to sit.

"I was 18 years old when I met him" Miss.Wanda said.

20 years earlier. (Miss.Wanda's pov)

I had just left Indian to start my first year of NYU fashion school.  It was my first day and I was already lost and that's when I saw him.

"Excuse me. Hi could you point me to the fashion hall."

"Sure you want to head to the south building,  make a left and it will be the first classroom on the right" Balcome said.

I slowly shook my head. Balcome chuckled. "Are you a first year."

"Yes" I admitted.

"How about I walk you there" Balcome said.

"Oh, you don't have to" I began.

"I want to" Balcome said.

"Wanda" I said extending my hand.

"Balcome" He said accepting my hand.

Three months passed before we seen each other again.

"Class dismissed" Professor Marshall said. "Wanda could you hang back for a minute."

"Did my last assignment get to you okay" I asked.

"Yes. I just have a few notes I would like to go over with you" Professor Marshall said.