Chapter 7

Lavanya joined everyone for breakfast and updated them about what she had been up to all these months. She explained that she had joined a fashion house in London and had come to Delhi on business. She also mentioned that if everything went well, her company would soon be doing business with AR fashions as well. Everyone was happy to see that Lavanya had become serious about her career. On a lighter note, she added.

'Even if things don't work out for me in London, I think I can always come back to AR fashions, what say ASR?'

'Do you even have to ask Lavanya,' said Arnav amicably, 'Your old job will always be open for you.'

'Thanks ASR!' she gushed with pleasure.

'Hello everybody,' said NK walking up to the table, coming to stand next to Khushi, 'what's for breakfast today Khushiji?'

He could have asked anybody else at the table, but no it had to be Khushi thought Arnav irritated.

'You favourite aloo poori Nanheji,' said Khushi smiling at him.

Just as Arnav wondered how Khushi knew about that, he heard his mami say to Payal, 'So you remembered my instructions .....Khoon bhari taang? It is your duty as bhabhi to take care of your devar.'

'Don't worry mamiji, please let me know what needs to be prepared for Nanheji, I will do a better job than jiji' said Khushi her eyes twinkling. Only Payal understood that Khushi was trying to make it easy for her.

'See NK? You have another bhabhi who is ready to take care of your whims and fancies,' said Naniji jovially, 'As a devar, you can take full advantage of that.'

Unbelievable! Why was his whole family pampering that bumbling fool? This whole devar-bhabhi drama was getting on his nerves.

'Sorry Lavanyaji,' said Akash suddenly remembering that they had a guest in their midst, 'Let me introduce you to NK, short for Nandakishore. He is my cousin from Sydney.'

'Hi Nandakishore, it's nice to meet you' she said raising her hand in greeting.

'Same here Lavanyaji. Khushiji's told me a lot about you and please call me NK' he said, twisting his lips in what he thought was cute smile.

When Arnav saw Lavanya smiling back at him, he rolled his eyes exasperated. Looked like women loved his fair and chocolaty face so much they didn't notice his foolishness. But, he had enough of this. He got up from his seat abruptly. 'I should be off to work now' he grated, walking toward the door.

'Wait ASR,' called Lavanya stopping Arnav's stride, 'I have a meeting with the director of SK fashions in an hour. Can you tell me how I can get there?'

'SK fashions? That is on my way. I could give you a ride if you are ready to go.'

'Thanks ASR, that would be super!' Lavanya jumped up from her chair, 'Give me a minute to get my bag?'

Khushi was in her room arranging her clothes in the ward robe. This morning when Arnav had left with Lavanya, she had felt envious of the sophisticated business woman. She was probably the kind of woman Arnav would have preferred to have in his life, she thought ------ a woman who would understand his work, who would be able to give her opinion, help him make important decisions. She couldn't understand why he had let her go from his life.

But then, she did know, didn't she ?a little voice asked her, as her memories went back to the events that started during Dusshera, the unspoken forces that had drawn them closer time and again ---- their first trip to Nainital where her plan to get Arnav and Lavanya to spend a romantic outing had backfired, with them ending up spending a night at a roadside dhaba, the day before Diwali when he had unwound the Diwali lights from around her quivering body, the tips of his fingers touching her heated skin oh so delicately, as his smouldering eyes had bored into hers with enough intensity to burn her, their tumble on the rangoli colors when he had managed to save her by twisting her so that his back hit the ground while he took her entire body weight upon himself,