Chapter 18

Arnav looked at Khushi as he took the car back on the Sitapur highway going toward Lucknow city.

She had lost a lot of weight. He closed his eyes, his lips tightening into a thin line as an odd kind of pain began in the region of his heart. Guilt gnawed at him. He would have to beg her forgiveness and make it up to her. He would take care of her from now on. He would never let anything like this happen to her ever again.

When they reached the house, Arnav carried Khushi in, despite her protests and laid her on her bed in her old bedroom. There were stars hanging from the posters just like the ones in Buaji's house. He knew this would give her peace. He strode back to the living room and called for a doctor.

Akash had come back home from the police station along with his father-in-law. Arnav gave them a gist of what had happened at Shyam's house. He didn't want to go into details and scare the family. They were thankful that he had reached on time and saved Khushi from a major disaster. He agreed with them. For the first time in a long time, Arnav Singh Raizada thanked his lucky stars.

The doctor came sometime later. He examined her and told them he had given her a sedative to help her sleep. He said that she was alright but weak due to lack of nourishment and that she would be back to normal once she started eating well.

Right after the doctor left, Arnav and Akash went to the police station to take care of the pending paper work. When they returned in the evening, they saw the entire family sitting in the living room having their tea. As Payal arranged for some more tea, they explained to the family that Shyam was taken into custody and would be handed over to Delhi police. This case would go to trial in Delhi court once the police investigation was complete. They were awaiting the final statement from Khushi.

'I am ready to go the police station now.' They realized Khushi had woken up and had listened to their entire conversation.

'We could go in the morning,' said Arnav. 'There is no hurry.'

'I want to get it over with as soon as possible.' Khushi didn't want to delay this ordeal any longer.

Arnav took Khushi to the police station so she could give her statement. He knew how painful it was for her to relive the experience once again. He wished he could go back in time and change all that.

There was an awkward silence as they drove back. Arnav wanted to talk but Khushi had closed her eyes making it difficult for him to broach the subject. He decided that everything could wait until they got home.

When they reached home, it was almost dinner time. After, dinner everyone sat in the living room talking. Buaji thanked God that Khushi had come back home safely. Suddenly, an awkward silence filled the room. Arnav knew it was his turn. He got up from his seat and walked over to Khushi's dad and kneeled down next to his chair.

'Uncle........,' he paused thinking for a few seconds and then said, 'I would like to apologize to you for marrying Khushi the way I did. I don't know if what I did is worth forgiving. But nevertheless, I am extremely sorry and I hope you will forgive me for it one day.'

Khushi's dad lifted his hand and placed it on Arnav's head. He had a smile on his lips but his eyes reflected the pain he had gone through all these months, knowing everything but unable to do anything for his daughter. He looked at his sister and wife.

'Arnav bitwa -----' Buaji began, 'we spoke in detail about this, Garima and I, in my brother's presence and we realized that we have all been victims to Shyam's cruel manipulations. I for one, can vouch for the maliciousness with which he operated. Shashi did what any father would do before getting his daughter married to a stranger. He suspected his intentions and discovered his true nature.