Chapter 9

The group reached home tired and exhausted and decided to skip dinner all together so that they could retire early for the night. Khushi looked at Arnav to see staring back at her. The look in his eyes reminded her of their intense kiss they had shared in the giant wheel. This feeling scared her so much that when Lavanya mentioned that she had to start packing for the travel the next day, she immediately offered to help her.

In the room, the two girls packed each lost in thought. Khushi looked up at Lavanya, 'I am so glad you came, Lavanyaji,' she said handing over some clothes, 'I am going to miss you.'

'I am going to miss you too Chamkili,' said Lavanya using the old nickname she had for Khushi.

'BTW, we never spoke about you Lavanyaji. Have you met the man of your dreams yet?'

'I did Khushi,' said Lavanya smiling little sadly, 'But he broke my heart.'

'I am so sorry Lavanyaji!' she said emphatically, 'How insensitive of me.'

'No Khushi, why should you be sorry? It's just that it takes some time to get over someone like ASR. In any case, I don't think I ever stood a chance against your beauty.'

It sounded to Khushi as if Lavanya was telling her that Arnav had chosen Khushi over her.

'Please don't say that Lavanyaji,' she said desperately, 'Beauty is just skin deep and you are ____'

'Exactly!' exclaimed Lavanya, 'you are beautiful from the inside as well and that is what made Arnav choose you.'

Oh God, if she only knew ! 'It's not like that _____'

Khushi could not complete her sentence as Lavanya continued like she had not heard her, 'I know from my personal experience that ASR can be pretty insensitive at times. But there is something you should know. The reason why ASR and I actually broke up. On the day of the Satyanarayana puja after Payal and Akash's engagement was fixed, you seemed a little upset and left early. ASR had been trying to reach you and you weren't picking up his calls. I had never seen him as restless as he was at that time. Later, when I went up to talk to him he apologized saying he was sorry for hurting me, except that -----he called me "Khushi". So the next day when he came up to me, I knew it was over even before he said a word. And it was not just those incidents, I guess I had known for a long time that he didn't love me the way I loved him.'

'Lavanyaji!' said Khushi urgently holding Lavanya's hand.

'Don't worry about me Khushi, I will be fine.' Lavanya brushed away a wayward tear that had rolled down her cheek.

She continued, 'When I first came here a few days ago, I thought I saw a tension between the two of you. But when I saw you two together, I realized that you two are so made for each other. And today at the mela, I saw how much you cared for each other when he made sure you could participate in the dance and when you nagged him for not taking his meds, when he took you to the golgappa stand and then finally on the giant wheel.....'

At Khushi's horrified look she assured her, 'Don't worry Khushi, I only guessed looking at your flushed face after the ride.'

'Basically, what I am trying to tell you is that ASR is a changed man now.'

As Khushi remained silent, helpless to reveal to her friend the truth about her marriage to Arnav, she heard Lavanya ask, 'Another important thing I realized was that you love him.'

'What?' Khushi looked up Lavanya surprized.

'Don't try denying it Khushi. It is written clearly on your face. You do love him, don't you?'