4.

Sixth Year - 1976

Sixth Year - 1976

CORDELIA, MARLENE, LILY, MARY, AND DORCAS ALL SAT HUDDLED TOGETHER ON MARY'S BED AS THEY WATCHED THE DOOR TO THEIR ROOM INTENTLY. Alice Fortescue slipped into the dorm quiet as a mouse and carefully closed the door. She turned to sneak to her bed and screamed as she saw the five of them blinking at her.

"What is wrong with you?" Alice shrieked. Five voices spoke at the same time.

"Where have you been, young lady?"

"You scarlet witch, you!"

"Was it good? I bet he's the rough type."

"Finally!"

"Is that a hickey? Atta boy, Frankie!"

Alice's face turned a deep shade of red, and she scurried to her bed to hide. The giggles coming from Mary's bed did not cease as they noticed that her sweater was on backwards. Cordelia clapped loudly, standing to her feet.

"We've been waiting for this for ages!" Dorcas giggled.

"Come on, we deserve some details," Marlene insisted.

"And why should you deserve that?" Alice huffed, changing into her school skirt.

The girls shared knowing looks, and Lily coughed to cover her laugh. Mary smiled smugly and nudged Cordelia, who sighed dramatically.

"It's time for us to come clean. It was my idea to charm your shoelaces, so you'd have to talk to Frank. I will accept my thanks in the form of godmother-ship of your first born," Cordelia's tone was extremely smug. Alice narrowed her eyes at the girl before collapsing onto her bed and smashing her face into her pillow.

"Fine," came the muffled reply of the witch trying to ignore her giddy friends.

"Woo! Hear that, girls? Frank Jr. is my godbaby!" Cordelia cheered, which elicited a choking sound from Alice.

-

Potions was Cordelia's favorite subject. She was easily at the top of the class, in Potions and every other subject. While quidditch helped Cordelia ground herself, brewing potions always made her feel lighter. The methodical routine of it gave her a peace of mind that only came from complete control. Bludgers were unpredictable and gave her a proper adrenaline rush. Potions are always the same. You follow the same steps, use the same ingredients, and get the same outcome. It was a stability that she really appreciated some days.

She sat beside Lily at their table, stirring the cauldron absentmindedly. Lily raised the jar of pearl dust to dump it into the swirling potion, and Cordelia's hand shot out to stop her.

"Only a pinch," Cordelia warned.

"You haven't even checked the textbook since we began. How could you— oh," Lily stopped short as she saw that Cordelia was correct. Lily gave her a look of amazement and shook her head.