5.

Sixth Year - 1976

Sixth Year - 1976

THE FIRST FULL MOON OF THE TERM ARRIVED FAR TOO SOON. Cordelia wordlessly placed a piece of toast with jam and a handful of bacon on Remus's plate that morning at breakfast. The bags under his eyes were a deep purple as he forced himself to stay awake. The anxiety pouring out of the boys in front of her made it difficult for her to eat.

"After breakfast, we'll drop you round the hospital wing. You'll need to drink this before sundown," Cordelia spoke softly. She slid his goblet closer to his hand and watched as he grimaced. The potion was bitter, but it did ease the transition. If even a minuscule amount, any relief was welcomed.

"Bottoms up," he sighed weakly and quickly drained the liquid from the cup. Cordelia squeezed his forearm in comfort.

Remus truly looked awful. He'd spend  the whole week in the hospital wing to escape the prying eyes of their classmates if he could, but it would raise too much suspicion. When Lily sat down in front of them, her face crumpled in concern. Cordelia's body tensed as she subtly rested her hand on Remus's.

"Are you feeling alright, Remus? You look exhausted."

"That's my fault. We were up all night planting dung bombs in the dungeons," Cordelia faked being sheepish when Lily's eyes drifted to her.

"You realize I'm a prefect, right?" Lily said slowly.

"So is Remus. What's that got to do with anything?" Cordelia snorted.

"Honestly, Cordelia..." came the familiar exasperation that only Cordelia McKinnion could elicit from Lily.

With a sly wink, Cordelia stood and gently pulled her frail friend up with her. The three remaining Marauders stood and followed her lead. They silently escorted Remus to Madam Pomfrey. Cordelia mustered up the most reassuring smile that she could, handing Remus a chocolate bar from her bag.

Six years of full moons did not make seeing her friend in pain any easier for Cordelia. She has done everything on her power to help Remus. She learned in first year to brew Wolfsbane potion. She'd read that it helped with clarity of mind during the transition. The morning after the first time Remus used it, he cried. He'd never remembered a single full moon before then.

Last year, she'd succeeded in guiding the boys through their transition into animagi. Remus had been outraged to hear of their plan in second year. It was a dangerous endeavor that could easily go horribly wrong. This is why it took them nearly three years to get it right. Cordelia can still remember the fear of watching her friends drink the potion she brewed, blindly trusting her ability to make it correctly.

Had she not been allergic to mandrake, Cordelia would've joined them. Instead, she helps Remus in the only way that she can. She never stops researching his condition. She has become quite the expert on lycanthropy. Every full moon, Cordelia waits in the common room for the boys to return and keeps an eye on the grounds for straggling students. Now she has the Marauder's Map to aid her in watching out for danger. 

"I'll see you on the other side, Moony," Cordelia said softly.

-

The firelight lit the common room enough for Cordelia to keep her eyes trained on the elaborate map of the grounds. Thankfully, no students seemed to be out of bed tonight. Her eyes felt heavy, but she simply took a long drink of the coffee she got from the kitchens and continued to watch.

The feeling of her stomach in knots was very familiar. Every time the boys went out with Remus, she spent the night sick with worry. Her body sagged in relief when she saw four names pop up near the Whomping Willow. She stood and quietly ran off to the entrance hall to meet them.

"Are you all alright?" Cordelia rushed.

"Fine. A little help," Sirius grunted. Cordelia surged forward to help them hold Remus up. His head drooped in exhaustion, and he failed to support his own weight.

"You're okay, Moony. You've done it. You're okay," Cordelia began speaking lowly. Remus didn't know if it was for his benefit or her own, but he appreciated her reassurance regardless.

He fell asleep on a stark white cot with the knowledge that he'd be okay. If Cordelia says he'll be okay, then he will be. She always knows. His thoughts lulled him into a dreamless sleep.

Cordelia took her place at his bedside just like she always did. It went without saying that she was selflessly devoted to those she cared about; however, what set her apart from the rest was the fierceness of her reverence for friendship. There was not a single thing in the world she wouldn't do for her friends, and Remus was no exception.

And oh, how that will hurt someday.