9.

Sixth Year - 1976

Sixth Year - 1976

THE MORNING OF THE RAVENCLAW VERSUS GRYFFINDOR QUIDDITCH MATCH, CORDELIA SKIPPED BREAKFAST. Lily made her disapproval very clear, but Cordelia wanted to spend as much time away from Sirius as possible.

Their positions heavily relied on the other, meaning they'd have to work in tandem... which they did very well.

Not exactly conductive to getting over him.

So Cordelia went straight to the pitch while everyone else went to the Great Hall. She stretched her muscles and tried to get herself into her merciless state of mind.

Her job was easy: knock some Ravenclaws off their brooms and have some fun. She could handle that.

A large owl swooped down and stopped in front of her. She took the piece of paper tied to its leg and watched it fly away. A slow smile slid onto her face as she read the two words on the piece of parchment.

Good luck.

R.A.B.

The sounds of her friends carried on the wind, alerting her of their approach. She tucked the parchment into her pocket and tied her hair up.

"There you are! You missed breakfast," James shouted at the sight of her. He eyed her but didn't mention anything about why she might've been absent.

"Brought you this, love," Sirius grinned. He held a muffin out to her. She took it gently from his grape and smiles in thanks.

Marlene threw an arm around her shoulders and winked, "Ready to bruise some know-it-all's?"

Cordelia bends down and picks up her iron bat, hefting it to rest against her shoulder. She smirked as they all turned to look at her, awaiting her answer.

"I think I can break a few bones while I'm at it."

Her teammates cheered, and she caught Sirius's gaze. He smiled at her in a way that made her heart stutter.

Fuck's sake.

-

They had been in the air for all of ten minutes before she finally met her first mark. As barbaric as it was, Cordelia reveled in the sound of the bludger smacking one of the blue-clad flyers.

"Brilliant, Delia!" Sirius called to her from across the pitch. She tried to ignore it but couldn't stop herself from shooting him a grin.

The pair of Beaters soon fell into their rhythm. They weaved in and out of the players in the air, making it look easy.

A fierce swing knocked a bludger off it's course for Marlene, sending it flying towards Sirius. He used it to help James intercept the Quaffle. Cordelia hated how fine-tuned their movements were to each other.

How do you move on from someone who is so intertwined with everything important in your life? How do you get over someone when they smile at you the way he's been doing all morning?

Cordelia was so caught up in her thoughts, she almost didn't block the bludger coming straight for her face. A frantic swipe of the bat kept her features in tact, but she didn't miss the puzzled look from her partner flying five feet from her. She drew in a shaky breath and forced herself to focus.

"Pay attention, Delia!" James shouted as he zoomed past her. Yes, revolutionary idea, James. Thank you.

She eyed the Seeker for Ravenclaw and frowned. Sebastian Little. The bloke that tried to take Lily on a date and ran off.

Cordelia knew it was her fault the boy fled the pub, but the idea of him abandoning Lily on a date helped her find her ferocity. She was once again focused on the match.

"Padfoot!" She called out. She turned her head to see him at her side in an instant. "I'm taking him out."

She nodded her head in the direction of the boy. Sirius nodded in understanding, swinging his bat around a few times with a smirk.

"You got it, Delia," he winked.

She watched him fly away to help set her up for the play. Prongs will really love us after this one.

In less than five minutes, they succeeded in knocking the boy off his broom. He didn't fall far enough to kill him, but she was certain he broke at least one of his arms.

"Cordelia, you are insufferable!"

Lily's voice hard to hear from her place, but she managed to catch her shrill shout. All she did was laugh loudly and blow a kiss to the ginger girl. James offered her an enthusiastic high-five as he passed by her.

Sirius hovered beside her as they watched the snitch be caught.

"Smashing match, eh?" He snickered. "Thought I'd lost you for a moment there. You haven't properly looked at me in weeks."

Cordelia felt her entire body tense, but she forced a reassuring smile onto her face. She shook her head and laughed lightly.

"Don't be ridiculous. I've just been busy with my O.W.L. studying," she waved him off. He watched her before nodding and returning her smile.

He didn't believe her, but he didn't fight her. She wasn't sure what she'd say if he did. Yes, I have been avoiding you.

They touched down on the grass and joined the fray of hollering Gryffindors. Neither of them were entirely present for the celebrations as their minds drifted to the other.

Things are all messed up, they unknowingly thought at the same time.

He watched her hug her sister tightly.

I miss her.

Her heart clenched as she watched James jump onto his back.

Merlin, I miss him.