Baby Business

As Carol and Connor headed for the unit George looked very concerned seeing Carol super out of it. He just came from a jog around the campus and stopped to pick up reading materials from the faculty room. His shirt was still sweaty, obviously haven't changed yet.

"I'm fine. I didn't bother you because it's nothing." Carol sat on the sofa and let Murphy roam around their unit.

George headed for the room to change his clothes but still talked loud enough to continue. "No, no, no, no, no, no. No such thing. I need you to let me know what's going on. Like, look at you. You look so pasty you can be Morticia Addams without the lipstick."

"That doesn't sound so bad. I love Anjelica Houston."

The AI chimed in. "Carol is days delayed from her period based on her calendar and her HGC hormones are unusually high."

George poked his head out of the bedroom door. "Which means?"

"She could be pregnant." The AI said, flatly.

"Shut up" Carol said

"Ooh here's the moods swings I think I'm like 75% positive" the AI said

"You get a test?" George asked 

Carol sighed. "Yes, I got one from the pharmacy. The AI convinced me along with getting tiger balm and pepto bismol because - - you know-- this is stomach flu and not a baby!"

"Another wave hitting in 3...2..."

Carol got up and ran towards the sink, heaving.

"Fuck." George said under his breath, and went after his fiance soothing her back as she continued to empty her guts.

"Aww my poor girl" he cooed holding her hair back whilst stroking it as well

"I just wanna feel better.." Carol randomly just started to cry leaning into George's chest

"And make that certainty now 85%" the AI said as George glared towards the tv where it was speaking from as he comfort Carol

"What, I'm doing the math for you both!"

She rinsed her face with tap water and took a couple of sheets of kitchen towels. George was fixing her hair as she dried herself off, keeping some strands from her eyes and cheeks.

She looked up at him and gave him a weak smile, like a silent 'thank you'.

"Hey..it's gonna be okay alright? I got you." George said smiling as he just hugged her close to him

"Not too tight, I don't want to ruin your fresh shirt," she squeaked as she loosely hugged him back.

They shared a moment of silence before George spoke again.

"It's my fault."

She looked up at him, starting to get groggy. "What do you mean?"

"If you really are... Well..." He looked at the tv monitor and the microwave before continuing. "If you are pregnant. I got a bit carried away on that second day. I didn't even remember to put on condoms let alone lube."

"Baby it's okay we can make it work out" Carol said "now I'll just go take a test and we'll see what we do from here"

She detached herself from his snaked limbs around her and slightly wobbled on her way to the bag. She took out the pregnancy test kit and headed to the bathroom.

"Carol, wait," said the AI. "You'll be wasting that test. It is not very effective if you take it in the afternoon. Wait until the next morning."

"Then why on Earth did you make me go to the fucking pharmacy?"