05

two weeks flew by quickly, full of time spent with nick, julian and dream. both nick and dream enjoyed julian's company, which made me extremely happy. julian started coming to our weekly bowling nights and dream even invited him to movie night. it was dream's turn to pick what we watched.

"so," julian said, "you guys do this every week? just all get together and watch movies?"

"yep," i told him as i handed him some drinks to put on the coffee table. "we take turns on who gets to pick and the others aren't allowed to complain. we started doing this two or three years ago and the only times we've missed it were when those two were on the gameshow."

"i wish me and my friends did that when i was with them," julian said wistfully. "except my parents were so strict that i never got to do anything."

"sorry, jules. i got lucky with my dad," i said as i squeezed his arm. "but one of my close friends had strict parents and she was absolutely miserable."

"at least now you can make up for lost time with us," nick said.

julian smiled at that. "thank you. it means a lot that you guys actually want me around."

we left the conversation at that and settled on the couches. i sat in between nick and julian and dream was in the recliner, like usual.

"so what are we watching?" i asked dream.

"your movies," he said with a sly smile.

"what do you mean by that?" i asked warily. he had a mischievous look in his eyes, one i wasn't too fond of unless the two of us were pulling pranks on nick.

"fast and furious," nick said.

"why are they your movies?" julian asked, looking between us.

nick answered before i could. "because thalia here always drives like she's street racing."

as i rolled my eyes, i said, "in my defense, i like going fast. speed limits are just a suggestion, after all."

dream hurried and started the movie before an argument between me and nick could ensue. there was a movie night rule that we weren't allowed to talk or be on our phone during the movies. it made it much more enjoyable.

as the opening scene started playing, julian casually put his arm around me and i instinctively moved closer to him. by the middle of the movie, i was laying against jules with my legs thrown across nick's lap. nick was absentmindedly tapping his fingers against my leg, something that somehow didn't bother me.

when the movie ended and dream got up to play the second one, he started laughing when he saw me. "it's obvious that your love language is touch," he said.

"i've never actually taken that quiz but that sounds accurate," i replied, stifling a yawn. it was barely six o'clock at night and i was tired for no reason.

"you can go to sleep, you know," nick said, raising his eyebrow at me.

"i'm not tired. plus i have to stay awake to enjoy more paul walker," i told him.

"he's not even cute," nick scoffed.

"you take that back right now," i said, sitting up suddenly.

"no," nick said.

"i will give you five seconds to take it back or our friendship will suffer," i warned him.

"might as well grab the popcorn, julian," dream said. "the real show is starting."

"why do i have to take it back?" nick asked. "it's the truth."

"he is a beautiful specimen," i said. "you can't tell me he's ugly."

"i'm not saying he's ugly, just that he's not that cute," nick replied. "i am much more handsome."

"no. you're cute, he's handsome. there's a difference," i argued.

the second movie started and i turned to glare at dream. i was tempted to break the rules and talk, but i valued movie nights too much to do that. so i just moved back into a comfortable position and started watching the movie. by the time the fourth movie rolled around, i was starting to struggle to stay awake.

"thalia," nick whispered.

"hm?"

"go to sleep, please. you look so tired," he whispered, concern coloring his tone.

i opened my eyes and saw that he looked worried. "that's what every girl wants to hear," i mumbled. i tried to blink the sleep out of my eyes and sat up. "where's julian?"

"he went home half an hour ago," dream said. i turned and saw that it was him i was laying against. he looked at me like i was losing my mind and said, "you told him bye and asked me to come sit with you. do you not remember?"

i shook my head. "maybe i should go to sleep."

"c'mon, time for you to go to bed," nick said. he started to help me up and i couldn't even stand up straight. i started laughing as i fell back onto the couch.

"i'll just sleep here," i managed to say, closing my eyes and blindly reaching for a blanket.

"when was the last time she slept?" i heard dream ask nick.

"i have no idea," he replied. "i'll take her to her room."

"can you carry her all the way up the stairs?" dream questioned. "she's small but she's all dead weight. and you're a weakling."

"i'll manage," nick told him. "and i am not a weakling."

"we'll see about that," was all dream said in response.

i vaguely remembered nick picking me up and sliding his arm under my legs to carry me upstairs. minutes later, he deposited me on my bed and gently pulled my blanket over me.

"goodnight, thalia," nick whispered as he brushed my hair out of my eyes.

"wait," i mumbled, grabbing his hand. "tell me a story." i don't know why i wanted someone's company so bad so suddenly, but a crushing feeling of loneliness had come over me. i wasn't alone, of course, but the feeling was still there.

nick scoffed at that and said, "i don't know any stories."

"make one up. please," i added quietly.

nick sighed and sat on the bed next to me. i scooted over to give him more room and he started to tell the story.

"once upon a time, there was an amazing girl named thalia. she was no princess, but she was beautiful and well known. she had a fierce heart and she loved her friends with every ounce of that heart. she dreamed of paving her own path in the world, instead of relying on her husband like everyone expected her to. for years, she kept her longing for adventure hidden and pretended to be who everyone expected her to be. until one day when she suddenly decided she couldn't take it anymore..."

i drifted off to sleep quickly, lulled by nick's quiet voice, until it faded away and i was completely out.

word count: 1158