chapter 4

When the gang got back to the tavern they noticed that Selena had fallen asleep on Gowther's back. That surprised them a bit, but when Pheonix and Aurora explained what was going on with her they were surprised that Selena hadn't told them herself. "Why didn't she tell us? We could help her." Elizabeth said, confused and a bit sad. "I think I might be able to explain." Gowther said from the cushioned bench under the nearest window where he had set Selena down and was now holding her. "She was scared to tell us because she knew that we would try to help, but her powers are almost completely out of her control when the new moon is out. She was scared she might hurt us, and in this state I'm not sure she could handle the guilt if she did." Gowther explained as he pet Selena's hair in a vain attempt to calm her down from what appeared to be another nightmare. Merlin looked over at him. "How do you know this?" she asked. Gowther looked at Selena with sadness and what might have been anger in his eyes. "She told me when I confronted her about why she wasn't acting like herself, and on top of her powers it's also an effect of the curse. During new moons her body and mind are in agony until the new moon is over. Speaking of that, Merlin?" Gowther looked up at her with concern in his eyes. "Could you make her some kind of medicine to help relieve her pain?" Merlin gave a small nod of confirmation and went to get the medicine.

The group continued to plan until they had everything ironed out for the next few days of the new moon. By that time Selena had begun to wake up. Elizabeth walked over and hugged her friend. "How was your nap?" she asked, giving Selena a small smile. Selena groaned and attempted to roll over onto her other side while saying "Nooo, don't wanna get up yeeet, it still hurts.'' The group looked at each other in concern. Merlin and Meliodas got their plan in motion. Everyone helped Selena as much as they could until Merlin came back with a vial of a white, almost milky looking, liquid. Merlin explained that it was medicine to hopefully make the new moon more bearable for Selena and that she would need to take the vail once she woke up, and that she would make enough for the next few nights later. When Selena woke up again she looked up at Gowther and noticed another person next to her. "There's our little moonbeam. You feeling any better?" Elizabeth's voice just barely registered over the pain all over her body. "Not really, I need to ask Merlin for some-" she was interrupted by Gowther holding a vial of what looked like milk above her. "Did you ask her for some medicine while I was out?" Selena said, giving him a small happy smile. "Yes he did. And he, as well as your siblings, explained to us what was going on." Elizabeth said as she set her hand on Selena's cheek attempting to comfort her dearest and oldest friend.

Once Selena took the medicine and appeared to be more comfortable, Gowther and Elizabeth attempted to move Selena to her bed, but Selena wanted to stay downstairs. "Going through this is bad enough, but I don't want to go through it alone this time." she explained to the others. As soon as Selena had finished speaking, a fairy with short blonde hair, a white dress, and yellow wings that looked as though they were made of sunlight itself, came down the stairs greeting everyone in the room with a happy smile. Selena watched as she flew over to Ban and the two embraced lovingly. A few seconds later the fairy girl came over to Selena and attempted to say hello and introduced herself as Elaine, but Selena was too tired to do anything except blink and bow her head in response to the fairy's greeting. The fairy girl noticed this, and asked Elizabeth and Gowther who this dark haired girl was and if she could do anything to help. Once she was caught up on the situation she attempted to relieve Selena's pain as much as she could. Elizabeth went to Selena's room and got her favorite blanket to help her feel more comfortable. Elaine, Elizabeth, and Gowther stayed by Selena the whole rest of the night and the next day as much as they could. They even attempted to get Selena to eat but it appeared that even Ban's cooking was unable to motivate her to eat. That worried them, even Phoenix and Aurora were a bit concerned, partly because even when Selena was sick she could usually push through and eat, even a little. Merlin checked on Selena and was able to figure out that it was just a side effect of the pain medicine. While it took away a lot of her pain it also affected Selena's appetite and made her not want to eat. This somewhat calmed the others. "If it's just the medicine that means she can still eat right?" Elaine asked as she gently brushed Selena's hair off of her sleeping face. Merlin looked over at the small group and gave a small sigh, "She should be able to, it's just a matter of how much she'll fight us if we try to force her to eat. If we explain to her that she needs to eat still and it's just the medicine making her not feel hungry she might listen to us." Merlin said, still seeming a bit upset. The rest of the group eventually managed to get Selena to eat a small amount of food once she woke up and before she fell back asleep.

What the group didn't know is that while they were having fun and taking care of Selena, far away some old enemies were back, and they were mad. But they needed time to recover their strength. Zeldris and the rest of the commandments were back and they began to plan.

Selena's vision swam as she awoke and the pain was even worse than the day before. Selena felt tears on her face as she attempted to get up, but a set of surprisingly strong arms held her back. "Selena? Are you ok?" a voice she thought was Elaine asked somewhat sleepily. Selena attempted to speak but all that came out was a pained groan. "Oh no, I'll go get more medicine. Elizabeth, Gowther, try to keep her calm until get back." Elaine said. Selena closed her eyes to soothe her headache a bit as she felt a hand brush away her tears and someone began to pet her hair. A song began to fill her ears and calm her, though she was in too much pain to register the words she knew it was Lizzie singing to her and that was enough. Once Elaine got back with the medicine and the three of them were able to get her to drink it, they moved her to her room and simply decided to stay with her there. Once night completely fell, Selena only appeared to get worse, so Elaine and Elizabeth stayed with Selena while Gowther worked in the tavern downstairs.

Selena was in a moonlit meadow once again, this time she appeared to be alone. She looked up at the stars and full moon above and began to sing and dance to her heart's delight. For the first time in a long time her pain was gone. Selena was having too much fun to notice that she was no longer alone, Zeldris was watching from the forest as though hypnotized by her dancing and voice. He could sit there listening for hours, he wanted to talk to her more but he also knew he most likely wouldn't stay long enough to have a proper conversation with Selena, but something felt off with her this time, her magic felt weaker and something seemed to be exhausting her even as she slept. Zeldris didn't know why but he felt a pang of worry and...love? No that couldn't be it, she wasn't even like him. She wasn't a demon so what would he love about her? And on top of that he barely knew her. He shook his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. Zeldris felt himself begin to wake, he looked back to Selena one more time and committed the scene to memory, her seeming more free and happy than when she was awake. When he opened his eyes Zeldris saw his brother, Estarossa, standing over him. "You ok little brother?" Zeldris stood up, giving his brother a look that said 'if you didn't wake me up for a good reason be prepared to die'. "What do you want, it's the middle of the night." Zeldris asked, Estarossa laughed, "Well we have all of us again, why not try to get the sins for what they did to us?" he replied. Zeldris looked up at the new moon and the stars above them. He sighed, "We don't have the strength yet." Estarossa nodded and left. Zeldris looked back up at the sky. "Please be ok, Selena. Whatever is going on with you, please be ok." he whispered to himself as he began to get ready for patrol.