chapter 6

Zeldris was beginning to get restless so he went out to a town not too far away from where they were. When he got there he noticed that the sins were there, but so was someone he recognised just from her magic, Selena. 'Why is she here of all places?' he wondered to himself. He flew down to the ground and began to think. He wanted to meet her in person but the sins being there might pose a challenge. He then remembered a charm he had never had the motivation to use. An illusion charm, it made him look like anyone he wanted as long as he wore it. He used it to make himself look like a regular human. Zeldris spoke the incantation to activate the charm, making his dark hair turn red, and his outfit looked more like something the villagers wore, the one thing that stayed was his eyes and even those turned to their regular green color, he hoped she would recognise that it was him by his eyes and not be as frightened. He walked into town and quickly found Selena eating something while watching some kind of performance. He walked up to her. "Hello, is this spot taken?" he asked, knowing it most likely wasn't, since she was sitting on a wall. Selena looked over and shook her head, Zeldris smiled, "Well would you mind if I sat here?" Selena gave him a look he couldn't quite decipher but then nodded. He sat by her and tried to watch the performance but he was distracted by Selena.

Selena kept looking over to the boy next to her occasionally, something about him felt familiar. She hadn't really gotten a good look at him though so she wasn't sure how she would know him. Once she was sure he was looking at the performers, she turned her head a bit and finally got a good look at him. He had red spiky looking hair, a red shirt, white pants, but those things weren't what surprised her. His eyes looked like Zeldris's eyes, just green instead of purple. "Zeldris?!" she whispered in surprise. The boy smiled and turned to look at her, "I thought you would never recognise me at that rate, but yes firefly it's me." he said with a laugh. Selena jumped onto Zeldris wrapping him in a tight hug, fighting her urge to purr in happiness. "I missed you Zeldris, how about we go somewhere more private to talk though?" she asked, still not releasing him from her grip. Zeldris laughed, "Sure, but you might need to let go so I can get up." Selena finally released him from her hug. The two got up and walked to a nearby hill with a meadow overlooking the town. Selena looked up at the stars then back at Zeldris with a mischievous look in her eyes. Before he could stop her Selena had pulled him to the ground and laid down beside him. He laughed as he sat up. "What was that for?" Selena smiled at him, "Just because I thought it would be funny and I wanted to see if I could actually pull you down here." Selena said as she looked up at the stars and smiled. "Besides, this is a great star gazing spot." she said with a smirk. Zeldris looked up at the stars and back at her, "Yes, I suppose they are beautiful. But I think there's something here that rivales that beauty." he responded. Selena looked over to him confused, "What is that?" she asked. As he saw the confusion and curiosity in her gaze, something about it made his heart melt. "You, what else? As far as I'm concerned you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." he said as he laid on his side and brushed Selena's hair out of her face so he could see both of her eyes instead of just the one she always showed. Selena blushed and tried to hide her face in the crook of his neck. Zeldris gave a small chuckle, 'So cute.' he thought. Zeldris felt her magic and noticed that it felt different so he decided to ask her about it later to make sure she was safe.

A bit later Zeldris looked down at Selena, finally deciding to ask her what was going on with her. "Selena, what's been up with you the past few days? How come you were sleeping so much, and what's up with your magic?" Selena flinched at his questions, but she didn't want to lie to him. She took a steadying breath. "If I tell you, you have to promise me you won't leave me alone." she said, her voice shaking as she attempted to hide her tears that were beginning to form. Zeldris was surprised but agreed, gently wiping her tears. "Since I was little, the new moon has always been a problem for me, because my powers are at their most difficult to control. But also thanks to the curse the Demon King put on me it's also like my own body is trying to kill me every new moon. The only way to get any real relief is to sleep, but that has its own dangers unless I take a special potion to keep the curse at bay." Selena looked down at the ground, scared to look Zeldris in the eye. All of a sudden she was lifted onto Zeldris's lap and engulfed in a hug. Selena was very surprised but she didn't mind and even began to nuzzle her head against his chest and neck. "That's awful, how could he have done something so horrible to you?!" Zeldris exclaimed. Selena cuddled into Zeldris more and began to speak. "He did it as punishment for our dad betraying him by falling in love with our mother, or something." Selena said as tears began to form once more. Zeldris closed his eyes and let out a soft sigh, "You don't have to tell me anything about them if you don't want to, but I hope that you can trust me with whatever troubles you." Zeldris said as he held Selena close. Selena smiled softly as she nuzzled Zeldris, " I do trust you Zeldy, it's just hard sometimes to talk about my mom and dad, but you deserve to know. When they first met they were always either busy in the battlefield or helping heal those who were hurt. Whenever they met, it was as if the heavens themselves ceased to matter. Eventually they decided to be together, forever. When the Demon King and Supreme Deity found out, they were furious. They cursed us as a means to make our parents suffer." Selena replied sleepily. Zeldris held Selena closer to him, not understanding why but he wanted to protect this girl from all the pain and anguish the world was putting her through until his last breath.