chapter 13

Zeldris and Selena were back at the hideout. Selena lay in Zeldris's bed as the two cuddled. Selena was fast asleep but Zeldris was still awake, he didn't know why but he felt like she would be safer if he stayed awake for a bit. 'Maybe someone from a nearby village is trying something stupid?' he thought as he ran his fingers through Selena's hair. He was always surprised by how soft her hair was but just chalked it up to Selena being what she had once called a 'half-breed'. Selena had never fully explained what her parents were but he knew they weren't human, or even weak demons, like he originally suspected when he saw that she had some demon abilities. Zeldris shook his head slightly to clear his head, not wanting to wake Selena he had decided against moving too much. He looked down at the girl in his arms. Something about her seemed familiar but he couldn't remember why. He would have remembered a girl as beautiful looking as the one asleep in his arms. She was a very interesting person but she tended to not talk about herself much, he suspected that the reasons for this were personal so he didn't want to pressure her. 'Maybe Gloxinia and Drole could tell me more about her parents. They did know them before the war after all.' Zeldris thought to himself as he heard a soft noise from Selena and decided that maybe it was time for him to rest as well.

In the morning Zeldris woke up to the sounds of the bath his mate had drawn for herself and Selena singing, this time he understood the words, so he sat at the desk in his room trying to figure out why he had felt so on edge the night before while listening to the sound of his mate's voice. All while Selena sang to her heart's content while getting ready for her day. "Where the North wind meets the sea there's a river full of memory. Sleep, my darling, safe and sound. For in this river, all is found. In her waters, deep and true lie the answers and a path for you. Dive down deep into her sound, But not too far or you'll be drowned. Yes, she will sing to those who'll hear. And in her song, all magic flows. But can you brave what you most fear? Can you face what the river knows? Where the North wind meets the sea there's a mother full of memory. Come, my darling, homeward bound. When all is lost, then all is found." Selena let out a happy sigh as she put on her outfit for the day, instead of her regular outfit she wore a red tank top, dark jeans and a black coat with fur lining the edges, hopefully keeping her warmer than her other jacket. all her jewelry was still there since she was so used to wearing them. She thought Zeldris might still be sleeping since he had been pretty much a rock when she woke up. But she was surprised to see Zeldris at his desk looking annoyed. "Love? Is something the matter? You look upset." she asked as she walked up to Zeldris. He shook his head and let out a sigh of annoyance. "No, I'm alright firefly. It's just that I sensed something, or someone, last night that felt dangerous and I can't figure out why." Selena gently grabbed Zeldris's hand in her own. "It's ok Zeldy. As long as I have you by my side, I'm not afraid." Zeldris let out a small chuckle. "Even if my father found out and tried to keep us apart, I would fight him to stay with you." Selena sighed as she nuzzled Zeldris's shoulder. "I love you Zeldy." Selena said happily. At this Zeldris smiled and began to nuzzle the top of Selena's head, "I love you too my firefly." he replied lovingly.

In an abandoned town the three archangels were figuring out the details of how they would find "Azura's spawn" and get rid of them, as they were ordered to. "Azura hasn't been seen for years, how do we know her or her spawns are even alive?" Sariel asked as he laid on the roof of one of the abandoned houses. Ludociel rolled his eyes in annoyance, "Her half breed abominations should be easy to find, but if their parents are still alive that could be a problem. But for now just try to find them and observe them before attempting to eradicate them." The two other archangels nodded and flew off, leaving Ludociel by himself.

Selena woke up from her nap to see her friends and siblings hanging with the commandments. Selena notices Zeldris in a corner by himself and walked over, pulling him into a hug and nuzzling his neck and shoulder. The two stayed and cuddled until Selena felt red hot pain surge throughout her body, causing her to flinch and cry out. "Selena?! What's wrong?" Zeldris asked frantically. Selena tried to look up but all she could do was cry out and groan in pain. Zeldris looked over to the others, who by now had noticed that something was wrong. While Zeldris tried to calm Selena down the others turned to Merlin, "What happened? Is she ok?" Elizabeth asked worriedly. Merlin sighed "She should be, but we need to get her out of pain or she won't be able to explain what happened." Zeldris nodded then began using his magic to calm Selena and soothe her pain. Once she was calm Selena explained, as best she could, the same thing her mother had told her all those years ago. The others were shocked that the Supreme Deity could do something so heartless to someone so kind and innocent. Zeldris looked up at Merlin, "Is there anything you can do to give us time to stop the curse?" he asked, Merlin nodded slightly. "Yes, I can stop the curse from killing her in a few months but that's all I can do. The rest of the curse will be unaffected, unfortunately." Zeldris sighed, "As long as we can help her, besides this just means we need to break the curse sooner rather than later." he said as he held her closer to him. The others nodded their agreement. The sins soon went back to the boar hut, leaving the commandments to themselves. Derieri sat up and looked out the window, into the night sky and towards the forest. Monspeet noticed and tilted his head in confusion, "Derieri? What's wrong?" Derieri let out a sigh. "I don't know, I keep sensing someone out there but something doesn't feel right." she flopped down on the pillow Monspeet was already on. Monspeet nodded as he looked over to where Selena and Zeldris sat. Selena looked almost frail, like she would break at the slightest touch. Her skin looked pale as a sheet, her hair had lost it's usual luster it gained every night, though it still reflected the night sky above, and it looked as though she had been crying in her sleep. Zeldris held her against him, trying his best to help her as much as he could, though he couldn't do much. He himself didn't look much better than the girl in his arms, his eyes looked vacant, he refused to speak unless it was to Selena, and not even Estarossa could pull his brother back, all they got was Zeldris growling or simply telling them to go away when they tried to get close to the couple. Eventually Zeldris took Selena to his room and gave the others a quick goodbye.