Total Breakdown

I didn't know what to do at that moment. Should I cry? Should I scream? Do I claim they are lying? Yes...they're lying, obviously. 'That's not true' I stated.

'Nat' dad said as he sighed

'No' i said a bit too loudly 'you're lying. We're not supposed to lie.' i said reciting one of our family's most important rules

'Sweetheart your dads not lying' mom jumped in 'your grandmother died last night'

All I could do was look at them with shock. I was frozen. I felt betrayed. 

She died.

 I stood there until I gathered enough strength to make my legs work again, and with all the power I had I ran to my room trying my best not to cry.

I didn't see my grandma much but she was still one of my favorite people in the world. She always could tell just by the tone of my voice if I was having a bad day, and she instantly knew how to fix it. And now what...she's just gone. It's as if she was never here.

I made my way to my room and could hear voices from downstairs but tuned them out. I assumed it was my brother's turn to ask a question. I just laid on my bed feeling hopeless. At that moment I felt completely and utterly hopeless. It was just last week dad was talking about how we need to go see her again. We never got a chance to. Correction, I never got a chance to. How am I supposed to live with the fact that I never go to say goodbye. I can't even remember the last time I saw her. It was Christmas. No Easter. No, it was the fourth of July when we went to Smallville for the fireworks. If I had known it was the last time things would have no doubt been different. I wouldn't have spent the whole time mad at Jon for not letting me use my favorite chair. I wouldn't have yelled at Jordan for taking my spot on the couch. I would have been with her. 

My grandma.

Before I even knew what happened I realized I was in my bed crying. No, not crying weeping.

 No hyperventilating.

 I couldn't breathe. Almost as if he could hear me struggling my dad burst through my door panic all over his face, and probably mine too. This had never happened before.

'Natalie?' he said, his voice on the verge of a yell and laced with fear. I heard him perfectly but I couldn't do anything. I couldn't move. I couldn't respond. I couldn't breathe. Breathe. I can't breathe. 'Natalie!' he said again this time at full volume. By this point he was right by me grabbing my shoulders and staring into my eyes, and much to my surprise my mom and brothers were right behind him looking just as concerned.

Once he had his hands on my shoulders I felt trapped. I had to get out. I pushed him away and started flailing. Once he realized I wasn't about to let him hold me that easily he looked to my mother who had a peer look of panic on her face and noticed I was still wheezing he put his hands up in surrender to show he wasn't going to try and grab me and said the stupidest thing. 'Breathe Baby. Breathe' Really! What the hell do you think I'm trying to do? Upon realizing his command had no effect he sat next to me on bed and pulled me into his lap like I was a little girl again. Albeit I am very small for my. He cupped my head and held it right against the left side of his chest and told me to match his breathing. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I didn't want to be in his lap, so I started pushing and twisting. However, it was having no effect on him. In fact it made him hold me tighter. 'Natalie you've got to breathe baby' It seems like an easy task but at the time I could barely tell you where I was.

I kept fighting until it was made clear I was making no progress in getting my dad to let go. But as soon as I accepted the fact my dad was holding me I felt my breathing steady and return to normal cries much to my family's relief. I looked around at them still unsure of what had just happened and I was met with a room full of concerned eyes all staring at me. When it hit me. I just completely lost it. At that realization I buried my head into my dad's chest and continued to cry. I felt him look up and shrug, undoubtedly telling my mom he had no idea what to do with me. I don't blame him. I had no idea what to do with myself.

After I'm not sure how long I was still in my dad's arms. It felt nice being held. We hadn't done this in so long. Probably because I was getting too old. But I didn't care. Eventually I untucked my head from my dad's shirt and looked up at him with my tear stained face. He looked down at me with pity and kissed the top of my head before gently wiping away my tears. He looked at my clock and saw it read 9:20. Crap ten minutes before bedtime. Well maybe it was a good thing. Was I tired, no. However, I did want to be left alone.

Dad and I both jumped when we heard a knock at the door. It was mom. 'Hey sweetheart, why don't you go put your pajamas on alright.' I just simply nodded and slid off my dad's lap walked to my closet to pick out an old band t-shirt and comfortable loose shorts. Then I headed to the bathroom my brothers and I shared to change.

When I came back to my room I heard my parents talking. They were talking about something that I couldn't quite make out. I was just about to open my door and make my presents known until I heard it.

'What are we supposed to do' my dad said 'I don't know how to handle a grieving 12 year old. It broke my heart seeing her like that.'

'I think we just have to wait this one out, Clark. Give her some time. She's young and resilient. She should bounce back quickly.'

That was when I decided to enter again and their heads snapped toward me. they instantly went quiet. Dad got off my bed to let me get in and mom started talking.

'So Nat, tomorrow we are going to drive down to Smallville to start prepping for the funeral, ok?' she asked cautiously.

The funeral?

 I had forgotten about the funeral. I have to stand around in a black dress and talk to people I don't even know about my dead grandmother. Great, just great.

'Natalie?' dad said, breaking me out of my trance. I just looked down at my feet and nodded. I can't talk about this right now.

'Ok sweetie, I'll wake you up tomorrow and we will pack, eat breakfast and be on our way alright?' mom said. Again all I could conjure up was a simple weak nod. I rolled over in my bed facing the wall away from my parents and covered myself with my blanket. I heard my dad sigh then felt his lips on my forehead as he said 'I love you Natalie. get some sleep.' That was followed by my mom placing a hand on my shoulder then both of them walking out in tandem.

I laid in my bed for a while drowning in my own thoughts until I finally drifted off to sleep.

S&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&LS&L

Hello everyone! I really hope you are enjoying this book. Let me know if you have any suggestions and I will try to incorporate them into the story. If you dont know superman & lois is a new series on the cw and I am obsessed. So i deiced to write this book adding in a little girl. If you haven't watched the show I highly recommend it. I am basing the book of the episodes with added scenes to piece it together more. 

Please let me know what you think in the comments!!!