FORTY-FOUR - BEFORE

By the time it was time to wrap up the pregame and head on to the actual party, Hanna could barely stand.

"Josh."

I was trying to catch his attention, but that was easier said than done when the right half of my body was occupied keeping both of Hanna's feet on the ground and he kept vanishing like a wisp of smoke. Every time I caught a glimpse of his whitened smile or heard the tail end of his thunderous laugh, I thought I had him—but once I'd warned Hanna about the change in direction and helped her stagger over, he disappeared again.

It also didn't help that said girl was completely uncooperative. Apparently, she could stand, and was capable of getting herself to the party without any help whatsoever, but I'd yet to see much evidence of that. And there was no way I was leaving her unsupervised.

Whether she'd taken the pill from Josh already, I didn't know, but I was also too scared to ask. There'd been plenty of opportunity; I hadn't been able to keep eyes on either of them for long this evening. It wasn't like she needed anything on top of all the alcohol. Anybody could see that.

The hopeful part of me insisted Josh had too, and made the executive decision that she didn't need anything stronger.

It was the other part that kept my lips sealed.

"Josh!"

This time, I noticed him emerging from his bedroom, and my voice carried well enough for his head to jerk in our direction. Once our eyes met, he didn't really have any choice but to head over.

"What's up?" he said coolly. "You ready to go?"

"Uh... not exactly."

"Why?"

I thought it was obvious. "Does Hanna look like she's ready?"

"Ready for what?" she slurred beside me.

"See what I mean?" I said, raising an eyebrow. "I'm not sure if it's such a good idea for her to go."

"To the party?" It suddenly clicked for Hanna what I was talking about. "No, it is a good idea. In fact, it's a great idea. Let's go right now."

"Well, there you have it." Josh shrugged nonchalantly. "She's all good."

"No," I said, as I felt Hanna start trying to wriggle away. "This really isn't a good idea. She can barely stand. Why doesn't she stay here and lie down in your bedroom? I don't mind skipping to keep an eye on her."

Honestly, the thought of staying put in Josh's quiet apartment, with Hanna sleeping soundly and his TV for company, was more appealing than the wildest party he could offer. Not that I would ever admit it aloud.

"Hey, hey, you can't skip," Josh said. "We're celebrating, remember? What if David Stephenson's there and Hanna misses her chance to rub it in his face?"