Chapter Twenty Eight: The Swamp

"We've been flying for so long," Ryoko groans out, laying on the saddle with her eyes closed. She would admit she didn't hate flying, in fact it was like she could race through the skies and cut the clouds, a freeing and almost nostalgic feeling. It was like a dream, passing by all the people, able to see them yet able to escape dreadful memories. High up where she was, there was nothing separating the fire nation from every other part of the world. Everyone and everything looked the same. But after weeks of flying, she had enough. 

"Do you want to take the reins and try again?" Aang's upbeat tone makes Ryoko scowl. Not that she didn't want to try again, her first experience not being the best, but she couldn't handle focusing at the moment.

"I'm fine." 

The energy between everyone had become weary through the long time of flying through the air and avoiding fire nation soldiers. They had noticed Ryoko's mood grow darker ever since they escaped Omashu. Of course they all knew the reason, or reasons. The three girls they ran into were Ryoko's old friends. Fortunately before getting to Omashu, Ryoko had not seen anyone she knew personally. No one came to question Ryoko on her sudden stance. Now, it had all changed. Ryoko did not feel differently about helping Aang and every other nation but every time she thought about those she left behind, her heart hurt a little more with a forceful beat against her chest. 

Ryoko opened her eyes once again but this time the clouds seemed farther away. She furrows her brows, sitting up along with Katara and Sokka who noticed the change as well. They were nowhere close to a destination that was suitable. Sokka leans forward towards Aang who became a statue, still and silent.

"Aang why are we going down?" Sokka asks him. 

"What?" He wipes his eyes, possibly from the sleepiness but it did not seem like he was simply tired, Ryoko thought. "I didn't even notice." 

"Are you noticing now?" 

Ryoko leans over, seeing Appa's legs get closer and closer to the top of the trees. Aang still did not pull up instantly. 

"Is something wrong?" Katara wonders, getting closer to Aang while still on the saddle. 

"I know this is gonna sound weird, but I think the swamp is... calling to me." Ryoko had heard strange things before, but this wasn't the weirdest. As long as they can rest and not be confronted again, she was okay with landing wherever. 

"Is it telling you where we can get something to eat?" 

"No, I... I think it wants us to land there," Aang replies to Sokka, still entranced by the land below. 

Katara and Sokka lean over like Ryoko did, neither one of them seeing the idea in going down. "No offense to the swamp," Sokka comments confused, "but I don't see any land there to land on." 

"I don't know. Bumi said to learn earthbending, I would have to wait and listen. And now I'm actually hearing the Earth. Do you want me to ignore it?" 

Ryoko who was just concerned about what the swamp wanted replies, "No." If Aang truly felt the need to go there and listen to what was calling him to his next teacher, they could be there for a second. 

At the same time the siblings looked over the saddle once more. 

"Yes."

"I don't know. There's something ominous about this place."

While Ryoko would agree with Katara, Aang seemed completely sure nothing would be wrong with going down. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad, the thought crossed her mind. But everyone, including Momo and Appa, had other ideas that did not involve the swamp.