Chapter Twenty: The Avatar State [P1]

Ryoko goes through the icy tribe, the large buildings surrounding her. The white ice was bright with the moonlight shining down on her. She didn't know where she was going but something was leading her. She turns the corner and sees the vast amount of soldiers. They were all facing her. Each one she began to fought, she beat with ease, something she never thought, no, knew she could not do on her own. Her fire burnt more than any of theirs could. She was superior, they had no chance.

She could feel the overwhelming power that loomed over her, the dragon that held great power, all of which was not even close to fully enveloping her. Her eyes burn a brilliant golden fire with her brown hair loose on her shoulders, no longer held in a ponytail. The dragon eyed girl whips around, expecting to face more soldiers but instead it was her father. He stood almost fearful, an emotion she rarely saw and would never see again. 

"Dad?" She smiles for a moment, relief flowing through her. Though she knew he was gone, like reality was slipping in, she still felt a fraction of happiness to see him again.

Without any words, Zhao backs up but then stops in his tracks. She holds out her hand, slowly picking it up to him but he only sees a threat. His hands move back and he pushes the fire from his hands, the roaring flames rushing towards Ryoko. She could only cover herself from the impending raging fire.

Ryoko gasps, clutching her chest as she catches her breath. The tears fall down her face freely. Her eyes flutter as she lay in the hammock below deck. 

For a second Ryoko forgets that she wasn't on the ship, for a second she forgets that Zuko and Iroh aren't there and that Zuko wasn't a few doors away. She forgets until she looks to her left and sees the wolf tail and blue clothing of Sokka on the higher hammock. Ryoko fights the frown off her face while she still lay in bed.

She never had a dream that felt like that. She had memories in most of her dreams, but never one quite so realistic and terrible. Dreams like those, the ones that filled her with worry and memories, always brought Ryoko to the deck of the ship with Zuko. Numerous nights of talking about memories or whatever came to mind were some of the best nights. Watching the stars and the look in his eyes brought her a peace she never knew she had.

Ryoko smiles lightly to herself as she thinks of those nights. Her fingers brush against her lips, it was like drifting away in a better dream. But the dream slowly became her nightmare as she remembers what Zuko told her. The frown returns to her face and she hugs herself trying to fight the image and words in her mind.

Nothing would be the same. If she ever did see Zuko again, he would be the enemy trying to capture the Avatar with no regards to others. He was clear enough that night, her father was dead because of him. She couldn't form the words in her mouth but that moment played over and over again in her mind. Even if she saw Zuko again, she would never see her father and the tears once again slowly go down her cheeks.

Ryoko wipes her face and eyes, breathing in deeply as she sits up. She knew she would not be going back to sleep. She looks around and sees her other two friends are missing. There was nowhere that Aang and Katara could have gone for privacy besides the deck so she had to give them that. She didn't need to sit on the deck of an unfamiliar boat to be reminded of the choices she made.

A creak from the hammock and a raspy voice calls out from the dark. "Ryoko?" She closes her eyes and lays down, facing away from him, thinking that he wouldn't pry at the sleeping girl. The hammocks swing lightly on the rocky seas and their moving bodies. "I know you're up," Sokka says in a whisper. Ryoko sighs and turns to lay on her left side, looking up at him. He too lay in his hammock and had an expression of concern on his face. "Are you alright?"