Chapter Twelve: The Fortune-Teller [P2]

Ryoko moves into the dim lit room, her eyes glancing around before she sits down next to Aunt Wu on the floor. The woman smiles and takes her hand. "Now, let's look at that love line, shall we?" Ryoko takes her hand back suddenly, her eyes wide.

"Wait, love? What about my destiny? Can't you read that on my palm or something?"

Aunt Wu scrunches her brows together, taken back. "You don't want to know about love?" The idea seemed to shock Aunt Wu, but Ryoko barely understood her destiny, how was she supposed to understand love, even if it was something she would like. Her eyes softened and a part of her thought about that possibility and with somebody.

"And maybe love too. If you don't mind. But I need answers about me and what I need to do. I need your help Aunt Wu." Ryoko smiles politely while she requests something intense from the woman, feeling embarrassed in front of her. Aunt Wu nods, getting up from her seat and going to the corner to grab a cup of tea. Her hands grasp the cup and she makes her way back to her seat. She holds the cup out to Ryoko.

"Now, drink this, and then give the cup back to me." Ryoko cautiously takes the cup, feeling the glass in her hands before bringing it up to her lips. The tea wasn't hot, but it was decent. She knew Iroh would scold her if he saw her drinking a tea that wasn't great or warm and wasn't taking her time, but she downed the tea, leaving the tea leaves for Aunt Wu.

She passes the cup back to Aunt Wu as she stares at her with expecting eyes. Ryoko watches as Aunt Wu looks into the cup, who squints her eyes and hums.

"What do you see?" Ryoko eagerly asks. Aunt Wu looks between the cup and Ryoko before setting it down.

"I see on the rim... a dragon." Ryoko grimaces as all that comes into her head is Fang and her destiny, of course she got a dragon from her fortune, no shock to Ryoko. "The dragon means large and sudden changes, have you gone through that recently?"

Ryoko stays silent, a frown coming on her face. From the ship, to her father, to being with the Avatar. "You could say that," she answers the fortune teller.

"Now in the middle I see clouds."

Ryoko grows impatient, leaning closer to Aunt Wu. "What does that mean?"

Aunt Wu frowns, staring momentarily at the young girl who was expecting the news. "Serious troubles. You will face much hardship in the upcoming events, you have some hard decisions to make if you want to stay on the right path."

"What's the right path?" Aunt Wu looks at the girl with sympathy.

"That is for you to decide when it comes." Ryoko leans back, her expression growing more glum. It wasn't the fortune she was expecting. She wanted answers but instead she was being left with more questions. Aunt Wu shakes her head, looking back into the cup to find her good news. "Oh, there's a bouquet at the bottom." Ryoko looks up, her eyes lighting up.

"Is that good?"

"Yes, very good. Good friends, a good life, and a very happy love life. It will all work out for you."

Ryoko looks down, a genuine smile coming onto her face. She felt like a normal young girl, one who was allowed to blush at the news of love and happiness. Maybe there was hope for her after all, she thought.

She holds out her hand as Aunt Wu puts down the cup and she shyly asks the fortune teller, "You said something about a love line, do you see anything?" Aunt Wu smiles back and takes a hold of her hand, examining her palm.

"Ah yes, I see an epic love. The man you're going to marry. You two will have a strong connection that most will not understand." Her words were vague, making Ryoko just want to know more.