Chapter Seventeen: The Siege of the North: Part 1

As they got closer to the north pole, Ryoko could feel herself grow colder and colder. She shivers with her added layers while standing outside behind her father. The way Zhao stood and acted also brought shivers to her spine. He was never this close to gaining this much power and never acted this way before. It was like today was the beginning of something new, and whatever it was disturbed Ryoko greatly. This wasn't just capturing her friend, this was invading the water tribe.

"This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh. Just think: centuries from now, people will study the great Admiral Zhao, who destroyed the last of the water tribe civilization. You're lucky you're here to see it." He turns his head to glance back at Ryoko whose eyes were trained on the water, the sky cloudy from the abundance of fire nation ships. "Think about it, Ryoko," he turns back towards the water, his words catching her attention, "soon enough you'll be the daughter of a legend." 

While Ryoko didn't have the strength to respond to her father, Iroh did. "Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects." Ryoko couldn't help but think of her friends who were there, waiting for an unsuspecting attack. What were they doing to plan and stop them? 

"I suppose you speak from experience." Zhao walks forward, leaving the two to stand behind. "But, rest assured, this will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba Sing Se." Ryoko walks up next to Iroh, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder with a pitiful smile. Being near Zhao for a majority of the day took much out of them, having to act as if they were under his wing and lost Zuko.

Iroh glances at the young girl, and he could not return the smile but feel pity for her. Oh, how her father took her for granted. He would regret it. Iroh hoped that Zhao would not experience the same loss he did when he lost his son. "I hope not. For your sake." He closes his eyes, hoping for the best outcome. 

Zhao did not bother looking back as he orders Iroh. "Tell the captains to prepare for first strike." Iroh walks away but he stops before going back into the warmth of the ship, looking back at Ryoko. She wasn't going anywhere. 

Ryoko hears the door close and she sighs, closing her eyes momentarily. "What's your plan?" She asks Zhao. Being kept in the dark was the worst of being on the ship with Zhao, and pretending Zuko was gone. 

Zhao doesn't speak at first, before he turns to his daughter and approaches her. The way she acted the night of the explosion was much different than now. Her confidence was gone. All Ryoko could think about is what she was going to do. She tried not to feel hopeless, but the feeling increased as her father grew closer. "Ryoko, you may be on my ship, but you haven't earned my trust yet." He lays his hand on her left shoulder, giving a squeeze before walking off, leaving Ryoko alone. 

---

"We'll be landing soon. Do you have a plan?" Iroh asks his nephew as soldiers flocked to different areas away from them. Zuko takes the white cover off, exposing his face. In the darkness of the ship, he could speak to his uncle and Ryoko whenever the soldiers were not around.

"I'm working on it, Uncle." Before he puts on the cover, he lowers his head as he asks, "Where's Ryoko?" 

"She stayed with Zhao while I came here." 

Zuko didn't have time to think more about Ryoko, he had to think of a plan to get to the Avatar, but what Ryoko said to him left him unsure. He tried bringing up the topic, but she dismissed him each time

What did she mean then? Was she not going with him? Zuko always pictured Ryoko with him when they both captured the Avatar, him regaining his honor and throne, her proving herself to her father and rising up like him. The way they talked about it when they spent nights up made Zuko believe it would happen exactly like that.