Chapter Seven

Rarity didn't want to watch. So it didn't help that Athena dragged her over to watch the trials on a cloud screen with the group not watching with the others. Like most of the Greek gods and goddesses and Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, all those people.

"The first trial just started," Kratos said as the screen showed Rainbow Dash and Jacob running over to a scroll.

"Already working together, I see," Rarity rolled her eyes.

But once this was over, she'd have her plans figured out.

She was getting the guy once and for all.

"Okay, this is confusing," Jacob said as they both read the scroll. "My dad never really taught me any other languages other than Dolphin and English."

"You can't speak Greek?" Rainbow Dash cocked her head. "But you're a Greek yourself."

"Doesn't think I'm worthy of learning the language," Jacob sighed. "Thought I would only need English to speak to the others and Dolphin to our dolphin army."

"Well, I remember learning the language," Rainbow said, not bothering to say that she could switch languages almost instantly as she felt her tongue starting to speak Greek. "Kalós ílthate stis dokimés tou Día. Aftó to domátio diafygís tha elénxei ti dimiourgikótita, ti logikí kai tis gnóseis sas I próti sas éndeixi eínai na apokryptografísete aftó to mínyma kai na apokodikopoiísete to mikró sýmvolo edó."

"Translation please," Jacob said.

"Oh, sorry," Rainbow said, reverting back to English. "Let's see... here...

"Welcome to the Trials of Zeus. This escape room will test your creativity, logic, and knowledge. Your first clue is to decipher this message and to decode the little symbol on here."

"There it is!" Jacob pointed to the markings of what looked like some kind of rune in the top left corner. Rainbow felt her tongue switching languages again.

"That's Viking runes," she said. "I can't read these very well; they're too faded."

"I saw those somewhere," Jacob started looking around the room. "There!"

He pointed to where the same rune was carved into the wall, clear as day.

"Can you translate it?" he asked as they ran up to the rune.

"I think so," she said. It was strange; she had the ability to switch languages and speak those languages. It was every single one of them too, and she didn't know how it was possible.

"I think it's talking about monks or something," she translated. "Or killing monks. Not fully sure."

"Come again?" he was already lost.

"You know how Bede is a monk?" she explained. "Well, the Vikings were prone to coming and killing off monks or selling them as slaves. Let's see, monks... they ate a diet of bread and water... they hand wrote everything... they were some of the wisest people during the Middle Ages... the Middle Ages had a lot of diseases..."

"Like that?" he found a Petri dish, loaded with green mold.

"Well, that was Alexander Fleming's discovery," she explained. "Wait, there's another one."

The second Petri dish was filled with bacteria colonies. She carefully reached to pick it up when she realized she knew better. Luckily, she found a pair of gloves and safety goggles to use.

"I think this is the Black Death," she said, peering into the dish. "I don't understand."

Yup, they were gonna be in here for a while.