Chapter Two: Lunch

Don't ask.

-Lila-

"Hello, Ms. Bustier," I say politely. "Sorry that I'm late, I got stuck in traffic."

An unpleasant voice chimes in, "Ugh, and how do we know you're not lying to us again?" 

"Chloe!" Ms. Bustier says, frowning. "I'm sorry about that Lila, please, take a seat," 

I walk up the aisle to the back row and sulk in my chair, trying not to draw attention to myself.

"As I was saying..." Ms. Bustier continues with the lesson until the bell rings. 

"Alright, children, don't forget to read chapters two through 4 for homework!" she reminds us. "Lila, could you please stay behind?"

I gather up my things and walk to her desk. "Yes, Ms. Bustier?" I questioned, politely as I could.

"You were awfully quiet in class today, I was wondering if there was anything going on that you'd like to talk about?"

"Your too nice, Ms. Bustier," I say. "But I'm fine, really, you don't have to worry about me."

She gives me an uncertain look and I can tell she's not convinced. "Well, alright...thank you for your time Lila, you may leave now."

I thank Ms. Bustier one last time before heading to math. I just lied to a teacher. Again. But, Ms. Bustier has enough to deal with, I didn't want to cause trouble. It was for a good reason...right?

Class blurs by quickly and when the bell rings I get up and head to the courtyard for lunch. Everyone was chatting it up with their friends. I walked over to the staircase and sat down to eat my lunch. 

Suddenly, I feel a hand tap me on my shoulder. I turn around to see Adrien smiling at me.

"Hey Lila, do you mind if I sit here?" he points to the steps.

"Umm, I-I," I stutter. Out of everyone here, Adrien's one of the last people I'd expect to want to sit with me. "S-sure." 

He sits down and pulls a sandwich out of his lunch bag. He grabs one half and holds it out to me. "Want half?"

I stare at the sandwich in his hand. "Adrien," I say, "Why are you being so nice to me? I lied to you and tried to turn you against Marinette. If anything, you should hate me." I look away, ashamed.

His gaze softens and he says, "Lila, I don't hate you. I never have." I look up at him. He continues, "You're right though. You hurt Marinette and she's one of my best friends. What you did to her wasn't okay. But I know that you're a good person Lila. I'm not sure why you had to lie, we could've been great friends. And now that you've apologized, we can be. Let's be friends." Adrien smiles warmly and I give him a weak smile in return. But then my smile fades as I remember something else.

"What about the others?" I ask, looking over at our classmates. "I doubt they'll forgive me as easily. Especially since I tried to turn them against Marinette too."

"Don't worry. Our class is one of the best. They'll understand, and maybe over time they can become your friends too."

Maybe. I think. Maybe this year won't suck after all.