Chapter Five: Crush Call

Wow, 100 views!!! To be fair, probably like 20 of those were from me but...still counts, right? Right? Guys???

-Lila-

I walk through the halls, my head down. I feel like a salmon swimming upstream. When I finally get to my locker, someone is already there waiting for me.

"Well, well, well, look who it is!" mocks the annoying voice of Chloe. A few glances are thrown our way.

I stand in front of her, my arms crossed. "What do you mean 'look who it is?'" I ask, exasperated. "You're the one who's standing in front of my locker." I may not be the most popular person in school right now, but I'm not going to let Chloe deem herself better than me. She's so ridiculous I don't even care anymore.

She shrugs off my comment, "Ugh, whatever."

"If you don't mind, I'd like to get into my locker."

She moves over and I open the locker door in her face. She just moves around it.

"Anyways, I saw you signed up to audition for the school play. Midnight Magic is no little kiddies play."

"Then why did you sign up for it?" I mock, slamming my locker shut. Before she can answer, I start walking away.

"Hey! Don't walk away from me when I'm talking to you!"

"Sorry Chloe," I call over my shoulder, "I've got to get to class. See you later!"

That night, I come home and collapsed on my bed. I sigh, exhausted. Maman is still at work, leaving our small apartment to myself. Right before I drift off to sleep, I hear a faint beeping noise.

Oh! I almost forgot I have to finish the script with Marinette and Adrien. I quickly jump out of bed and grab my computer. I open it up and see a request to join a call with "🌸Pinkflowerpower🌸" and "yo_Mama's_fat_cheese02" and click on the link. Adrien and Marinette are already there, chatting. 

"Hey, guys," I say shyly, waving at the camera. "What's up?"

"Oh, hey Lila!" says Adrien, waving back.

"Hi, Lila," Marinette says, glancing at the camera then going back to whatever she was doing. "I have our notes right here," she says, holding up the notes from earlier. "Should we get started?"

"Wait," I say. I look at Adrien."Before we start working, can I ask, why does your username say 'yo_Mama's_fat_cheese'? It doesn't seem anything like you." I question.

He looks at his username and the confusion he wore quickly melted into annoyance. He mumbled something that sounded like "Plagg" but I don't think Marinette heard. "Oh, umm...haha, yeah, it was just a prank. Don't worry I'll fix it." After a few clicks, his name changes to "cat_boi_05".

"Great," says Marinette, "Let's start."

After about an hour of scriptwriting, we're almost done.

"Alright, we just need to finish the outro and we'll be finished!" Marinette says excitedly. Throughout the call, she seemed to have warmed up to me a little bit. She didn't stiffen up anymore when I talked to Adrien and she was starting to laugh at my jokes, even if I wasn't trying to be funny.

"How about, 'André's, André's, ice cream for two, eat too much and you'll have to go poo!" I mused jokingly. 

Oh god, I shouldn't have said that. I sounded like a little kid!

Then, unexpectedly, Marinette started giggling until she couldn't contain herself anymore and burst out laughing. 

We were all laughing now, with Marinette laughing the hardest. Her cheeks were tinted pink and her bluebell eyes filled with joy. The sun was setting, casting a warm glow on her face, making her hair shine. Then I quickly realize that I'm staring at her through the screen, and I hurriedly snap out of it as our laughter starts to die down. My stomach feels like it took a tumble and I could feel heat rising to my cheeks. It was a familiar feeling, one I used to get around Adrien, but with Marinette, it feels...stronger. Something a little less desperate and a little more exciting. 

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no! I can't have a crush on Marinette...can I? Panic washes over me like a wave as I struggle to even think about it. Oh god, I think I have a crush on Marinette!